1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WinCVS for document versioning-switching from Word 2003 to 2007

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by saxonkitty, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saxonkitty

saxonkitty Thread Starter

Does anyone know anything about WinCVS? My office has been using WinCVS for document versioning (because it's free and it works) and up until we switched to Office 2007, everything was fine. Now, we need to begin saving our documents (mostly Word) in the new format (with the .docx ext.), but I can't find a way to connect the new .docx version to the old .doc version(s). For example, a document called "document1.doc" has been altered and the new version is "document1.docx." Because the document is saved in the new Word 2007 format, with a new file extension, it will not save as the latest version of the old document, only as a new document. Is there a way to "connect" the old and new formats in WinCVS? :confused:

2. smbd

smbd

If you want to save a document to be compatible to open in word 97-2003 you cannot simply automatically save the document because it will save as a .docx. Therefore you cannot click on the disk icon at the top to save your document.

Go to the at the top left corner.
    Choose Save As. Another menu will appear.
    Choose Word 97-2003 Document from the list.
    Choose where to save your file.
    After the file has been saved as a .doc you can now just press save instead of save as. You can also press on the save symbol (a floppy disk) to automatically save the file now.

3. saxonkitty

saxonkitty Thread Starter

Thanks, smbd. I already know how to save documents in Word. The question has to do with WinCVS. We use that program to track document versions. Most of the older documents are in Word 2003 or earlier, but we are now saving documents in the new 2007 format, and I want to know if in WinCVS there is a way to connect the old versions with the new ones without having to convert them all right now. We probably will convert them, eventually.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice