WindDirStat: I Need help to use it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

oniro

Hello all concerned :

I came accross WINDIRSTAT while searching for a "healing" to my overcrowded PC xp. This fantastic and practical way to look what you have been piling up along the years. But now what shall I do ? I mean the practical steps. For instance in my case I can see a huge volume with thousand of e.mails. I don´t want to destroy them. Instead I would like to move this mail out of my pc to an external HD. And many other things I would like to move away but I dont know if the use of this program implies to do it in a specific way proper to Windirstat. I was trying to find some instructions but the literature seems very much addressed to nerds and programmers. Any suggestion ? My know ledge on computeres is basic and I am afraid to destroy something I can not fix later.

Thanks for your insights,

Oniro

WinDirStat is a good program to identify where the space hogs are and you can use it to delete files you don't need, but it's not designed for moving or backing up files.

The easiest thing to do would be use Windows Explorer to copy and paste the files to the external drive. If you want a program to copy the files for you and make a log of the files copied try SyncBack. You might also want to use SyncBack to do regular backups of your important files to the external drive.

oniro

Thank you so much Stantley.

You got my point at once. My concern is to move the files in its format and enterety, which I did not know how to do it. I am aware that I have to transfer the raw data, along with its format so that I can see again the Out-Look Express messages. They make most of the heavy load in my HD.

Will OE remain as my mail client once I move the stuff ?

Thank you again !!!

Oniro

oniro

Thank you Oily. That will complete my set of tools to release the old mail.

Thanks a lot.

Oniro

oniro

As most of the stuff I have to transfer from my C:/ is mail related stuff piled in OutLook Express, I have a question. For instance should I need to review a particular message from 2009, how can I bring it to life, I mean how can I make it visible. How can I open it once it has been deleted from OE ? Because I guess if I import one particular message from OE, it is not one single message which comes back but the whole INBOX folder ?

I hope I can beunderstood.

Thanks very much fro your help,

Oniro

throoper

Trusted Advisor (deceased)
Hi Oniro,

Assuming what you saved to the external drive are the DBX files, you can use MiTech MailViewer to read them. DOWNLOAD HERE .
If you need to put a single E-mail back into OE, it can be saved as an EML file, with the Viewer, that can then be dropped onto an OE folder and added to it's database (DBX file).

T. :)

DoubleHelix

Banned
After you move your files to an external hard drive, what will you be backing them up to?

oniro

Thanks to THROOPER for your suggestion. And yes, all the transfered files are .dbx. The mail viewer is going to be very usefl because now I just want to release a lot of space taken by my mail, and later on I will select some mail to be at hand in my OE. This leaves me with a question. Does this mean that I can not import directly a folder to OE from my extrenal HD ? Shall I HAVE to go through an intermediate application like MI TECH MAIL VIEWER ?

Now to DOUBLEHELIX. Thank you very much for stoping here. I followed the Mcirsoft procedure as explained at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670 to save the files into folders in the external HD. One day I expect to throw away most of it and keep only photos and Documents. Did I understand you well ?

All the best,

Oniro

DoubleHelix

Banned
Moving files to an external hard drive leaves you with only one copy. You should have two copies of important data.

throoper

You should be able to Import from the external.
If for some reason it fails, you can copy the Folders.dbx and the DBX you wish to Import from the external drive to an empty folder on your desktop and use that as the source folder to Import from.

You can also manually place a single DBX into OE. Go HERE for the instructions.

DoubleHelix is right that you should have 2 copies of anything important. Simply burn a copy of the DBX files to CD. Check them with the Viewer after to ensure they didn't suffer corruption.
Nothing worse than thinking you have a good set of backups and later finding there was a problem when they burned.

oniro

I got you ! Both of you have provided me with excellent pieces of advise. Is clear I should have a second copy of important documents, which I will create in a different support than my external HD # 1.

As I have near 10,000 messages in the Gmail server, not in my PC, I am curious to know if there is some application able to list alphabetically my messages, which will help me considerably to screen and delete all the garbage intermingled in my mail stock.

Thank you guys for you prompt and goog will to help.

I will like to donate. My only way to do it is through bank transfer within the European Union.Is there such a possibility ?

My gratitude for your help.

Oniro:)

oniro

I just made a second copy on a second external HD. Now I feel safe to protect my documents. Your advises have been utmost valuable.

Thank you so much.

oniro

Now I have been testing the MiTech Mail Viewer and I found this:

- Seems not to read attachments
- I could not find a way to open my F:/ External HD from the MiTech Mail Viewer . My guess is that it goes to the installed data base in C:/, but that will dissapear when I delete the whole mail folders inventory. What do you think ?

Ciao,

Oniro

throoper

- Seems not to read attachments
You can't open the attachments from the Viewer, but you can save them to a drive, then open them.

- I could not find a way to open my F:/ External HD from the MiTech Mail Viewer . My guess is that it goes to the installed data base in C:/, but that will dissapear when I delete the whole mail folders inventory. What do you think ?

Ciao,

Oniro
Click File>Open to call the "Open Wizard" dialogue.
You should be able to click the folder icon at the end of the "Outlook Express message database" line and get a browse window. Navigate to the F:/drive and select the DBX you wish to open.

If you want to open a DBX with the Viewer by simply double clicking the DBX, set the Viewer as the default program to open that file type.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online