1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windosw Defender

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by carlah0318, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carlah0318

carlah0318 Thread Starter

make sure that I do not have any mal-ware on my computer? I have McAffee.

This happened after I stupidly clicked on a video. It ran it's gammet (sp?), posted the same post everywhere, that was on Friday night. Last night, the same thing happened again.

On friday, I changed all of my passwords, etc. Changed all my passwords again on Saturday night. My account was temporarily shutdown to perform a Windows Defender scan. However, Windows 8 is telling me that Defender is turned off. How can I turn Defender back on.

DID I MENTION THAT I HATE WINDOWS 8!!!!

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
    Carla

2. carlah0318

carlah0318 Thread Starter

How can I turn Windows Defender back on? I am not sure how it ever got turned off.

Carla

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you installed another anti-virus program that should have turned Windows Defender off.

Not on Windows 8 right now, but I think that you can get to the Windows Defender panel through the Control Panel. Or, like to find most things in Windows 8, just search for it. If it is not found in Apps it will be in Settings.

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I do think you know how to open Defender, but, What have you tried, to turn it back on?
    As Terry says, another antivirus may have turned it off (the firewall also - best check that)

It is accessed through the control panel, but open the action centre, and see if you can turn it on from there.
    It is also a service, which you can try and turn on. If you are not familiar, type services.msc and scroll down the list.

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Merged your threads. If you want to pursue the potential malware issue follow Richard's advice.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!