1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window 2000 " trouble on boot " Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RADLEY, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RADLEY

RADLEY Thread Starter

My computer had been running slow ( It is a 610 Compaq EVO laptop) and I had been getting memory dump occurences all along here. I tried cleaning up my PC doing defrag and using Adaware, etc. prior to my final dilemma. I had been in safe mode doing some of this cleaning up and now I have this problem after rebooting.

When I boot now regular or safe mode, it brings up a new blue screen right after the Windows 2000 screen. The message is
    "*** Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE8565B98, 0x00000001,
    0xBFF3DD3C, 0x00000002) PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    *** Address BFF3DD3C base at BFED3000, DateStamp 3ebc05a5 - Ntsf.sys"

I cannot seem to get this message even with the Win2000 Installation CD. I cannot get the repair option to appear either while booting off the Win2000 CD.

Please Help!!!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, If the laptop has an entry cover to get to the RAM module, open it, of course all powered off and shut down....remove the module carefully using the side clip retainers, and reseat the module or others if more than one.... restart the computer and try again.

If you have another SODIMM module that you know is correct for the computer and that works, try that alone....

You might have a bad RAM module in. Try one alone if you have two modules in now.

If you get a prompt to enter Setup (BIOS) just do that, and Save and Exit BIOS using the key(s) it shows you, the compute should restart and try to get to Windows...what happens?

3. RADLEY

RADLEY Thread Starter

I've now run Memory86Test and Hard Drive Diagnostics without any faults found thus far. I am doing an "Exerciser" test on the hard drive. I'm puzzled by all this too, since I also have a second identical EVO laptop which I swapped over this hardrive into and I get the same response from it in that laptop. I'm leaning toward some part of the boot sector being damaged or a cluster on the hardisk being bad. Can a sector be skipped if it is bad? I will open the memory sodimm on the laptop and try what you suggest. I have to wait for the Harddrive exerciser test to finish 2 hours...so I will most likely do it in the AM. I really appreciate your quick response. Thank you. I will keep you posted on my status. Hopefully that will do it although I have not been able to detect any memory faults with the Memory86Test run in advanced diag. mode. (Curious if this means anything) Wish I could get the laptop to boot off the Win2000 CD without that blue screen killing it. I never made it to the repair section on the Win2000 CD before the laptop bailed to the blue screen message above. Very frustrating...oh well enough babble..thanks!!

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

run chkdsk.

5. Byteman

Hi, Is the CD scratched or dirty, or will it boot in the other machine? Try washing the CD in plain warm tap water and pat it dry...sometimes that's all it takes.

Chkdsk will want to run at the next startup, and may not work, but if it does, it may fix something.

There are some switches to use with chkdsk

chkdsk /r is how I usually do it.

If you could boot from the CD you may have shot at the Recovery Console- and can run chkdsk there from the C:\Windows prompt.

Also you could try FIXBOOT, but chkdsk /r runs all the options if I recall...

I've had a non-booting XP machine fixed in seconds with chkdsk.

Can't start up in Safe Mode at all? F8 key when booting up...

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

presuming that the problem is not a hardware problem, the substantially most likely problem is file system corruption. Chkdsk is the tool for correcting this.

Any time that the system behaves in an anomalous fashion, at all, the first thing you should do in response is run chkdsk. If there is no anomalous behavior, run chkdsk once a week anyway.

File system problems are inevitable; they WILL occur. If not corrected, often they will gradually propagate until the system displays peculiar behavior. Periodic running of chkdsk takes no time to speak of, and prevents a LOT of trouble.

7. Byteman

jiml8> Yes, that's why I am agreeing with you...

This user might need some instructions for using chkdsk- more than "run chkdsk"- I was not dis-agreeing with what you posted.

Using the floppy disk set for 2k might work, if you have a floppy drive in the laptop, but may give you the same blue screen...

You can make the 4 disk set on any computer and use them to see if you can boot it up, and get to the Recovery Console that way. If you are running Memtest, I assume it's from a floppy...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...windows2000serv/reskit/core/fndb_con_WKEH.asp

8. RADLEY

RADLEY Thread Starter

OK...First let me thank you both for your suggestions and input. I truly appreciate your advise and assistance. I tried several thinks that you recommend to resolve this error on boot.

I removed the RAM and tried doing a swap with the other laptop's and then I reseated them again afterwards. (it did not make a difference) the RAM memory tested OK.

I tried booting off the Windows 2000 CD and that failed so I made the 4 floppy disc boot and swapped the drives to try that way. Both ways failed after all the options had loaded and it said it was "starting Windows 2000". I never made it to the Recovery Console or option to Repair the OS. Blue screen jumped up prior to any other option.

I have now booted off a CD called "PCBeginner Utility Suite 2005" I was able to get to a dos prompt and tried to run CHKDSK but it will not seem to allow that. I am however able to run scandisk and this is where I have more info on the problem(s).

Scandisk ran on drive A (that is really the lptp's harddrive letter while this diagnostic CD is running) It says "Cluster 2 of drive A cannot be written to. That area of the drive is damaged and should not be used to hold data. ScanDisk can try to recover any existing data from that area by copying it to an undamaged location. ScanDisk will then mark the damaged cluster to prevent it from being used again. Cluster 2 is currently being used by the \ASCII file. " Note: I ran the HDD drive diagnostic Quick Test and Longer 30min test and the results came back OK according to the BIOS Utility HDD scan?

I have tried doing the Fix it option and ScanDisk says " ScanDisk found physical damage on drive A that it cannot correct. ScanDisk cannot repair damaged cluster 2 because other damage to drive A prevents it."

Is there a way to repair the ASCII file or remove this segment and place a new one elsewhere? Is there a work around? Your thoughts on what to do ...PLEASE !! and Thank you!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice