1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window 7 won't backup

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by alexpinca, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexpinca

alexpinca Thread Starter

I am using Windows 7. It has a built in back up system that call for a dvd to backup. I've placed the dvd in the drive and each time it hangs up in the 25% complete point. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

For some reason,windows 7 likes to popup additional
    windows behind the existing windows.
    Check the taskbar for an extra button that may or may not be flashing.
    There may be a message window hiding behing the main window
    that is asking for another DVD.
    It takes a lot of dvd's to backup.
    It would be better to use a second or external hard drive.

3. antech

antech Banned

Can you please reveal the size of the Backups that you are making?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I would not be using windows backup for anything other than data files. If you are attempting to backup the complete system, you need imaging software ie acronis true image or macrium reflect.

If you are attempting a simple data backup, just copy the data files to an external drive, second hard drive, NAS, network share etc.

Post exactly what you are trying to accomplish with this backup.

5. wtxcowboy

wtxcowboy

my new hp does the same thing. under "backup or restore files" you have the option to let windows decide which files or you can manually decide for yourself which files to backup, then it asks you where you want to back up those files to, personal media device or dvd/cd etc. i chose dvd because i don't have a pmd yet, so i click "backup" and it decides which files off my C drive to backup, then asks for a dvd to be inserted in drive which is done, then you can view progress and it never gets past 25%! from what i've read googling, happens quite often with windows 7 home prem but there's no real solution other than as you say, backup to an external source which basically, what a dvd is.

Attached Files:

6. storage_man

storage_man

I too have seen this problem. I use both Acronis and Windows 7 backup. I have not tried using Windows 7 to a DVD, but I have used it to backup to internal SATA, removable IDE and USB attached drives. All of them have issued backup failures on a regular basis. After running the windows diagnostic section of Backup, it tells me to run chkdsk /r on both the source and target drives. If I do that and run the backup again, it will fail again. However if I re-run the backup right after the error, it completes with no problems. Now this issue really leaves some doubt in my mind that Windows 7 Backup saved anything. Well about 5 weeks ago, I had a viral problem, which necessitated me to restore my system. I had backups completed via Acronis and Windows 7. I chose to restore the Windows 7 backup image. It successfully restored my system. So it looks like Window 7 Backup when it completes successfully, provides the backup security that you need.

Some day I may find out why it fails on a regular basis and I will let everybody know the cause.

7. antech

antech Banned

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919254

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice