1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window 98se desktop

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rp330, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rp330

rp330 Thread Starter

Why does my desktop only accept wallpaper in bitmap format?
    I downloaded a wallpaper onto my computer for the desktop,when I went to find it,it didn't show up. but it was there when I looked for it through win,explorer. found out it was in jpeg format and display would only reconize bitmap. had to go through abode photoshop and change it ofer to bitmap format before i could put it up as my wallpaper. My daughter has win.98 and it accepts all formats.you have to activate something for it to work. what is that? can I download something for my desktop to reconize any format of picture? thank you, Ron

2. james73

james73

You have activate the "view desktop as web page" or something
    like that. Cant recall it precisely. Right-mouse click on the desktop
    and have a look around.

James H

3. brindle

brindle

jpeg or bmp will work just fine. The files have to be in C:\windows\web\wallpaper. Right click on your desktop and under active desktop be sure view as a web page is checked.
    Now when you go to choose a wallpaper you will be able to scroll through all your saved jpeg's and bmp's.

4. rp330

rp330 Thread Starter

i checked the view as web page. still when I want to change the wallpaper,it will not show the jpeg in the folder. only shows bitmap.when I go to c/windows/web/wallpaper through window explorer it will show the jpeg picture in there that I want. but right click on display and try to change wallpaper.it won't show that one as being there.only shows bitmap. cannot get it to show all. any way that can be changed? thank you, Ron

5. brindle

brindle

Well I don't understand why it's not working for you. It's easy and straight forward. This will not solve your problem but have you tried to save your jpeg's as bmp? If thats not possible then Irfanview will do it.

6. rp330

rp330 Thread Starter

I click on start/settings/active desktop/view as web page.It shows up looking like a web page,but when I go click on the desktop and porperities,then browse for wallpaper,the only thing that shows in box is bitmap. it still won't show any jpeg or anything ulse in that web folder. Irfanview works fine for pictures.is there anything that will get html active pictures on the desktop. also when I view as web page my shortcut icons disappear from view.checked setting on that and that box is not checked. very strange,guess i'll have to give up on this one. thanks, Ron

7. brindle

brindle

Don't give up. try unchecking view as a web page. Mine is checked though.

8. brindle

brindle

forgot this

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. brindle

brindle

This is a far out question but I'll ask anyways. Is the path to your wallpaper D:\windows or C:\windows?

I ask because you can have bmp's in c:\windows and jpeg's there also but your wallpaper will only give you a choice of the bmp's and you can have a D:\windows\web\wallpaper dir but not one in C:\

10. brindle

brindle

Try changing the extention to jpg

11. rp330

rp330 Thread Starter

no-there is no d/windows/web,only c:/windows/web/wallpaper.
    funny thing,when I click on start/settings/active desktop/view as web page. It converts to a web page look.but if I go through the process again,the view as web page is not checked.shouldn't there be a check mark next to it. even if it shows up as a web page. I go through clicking on the display and click browse for wallpaper it still only gives me one choice (bmp's) nothing else shows. Ron

12. brindle

brindle

can you post a pic of your C:\windows\web\wallpaper folder?

13. rp330

rp330 Thread Starter

on windows/explorer it only shows these drives A: C: G:H:
    g and h are cd drives. I am running internet explorer 6 and win-98se. don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. getting to confussing.

14. brindle

brindle

Please read post #12

15. rp330

rp330 Thread Starter

yes I can post a picture in there but if it anything other than a bmp picture. it will not show up on browse/ windows/web/wallpaper,even if its there.only gives me one choice bitmap.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice