1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window Defender is turned off

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by April2020, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. April2020

April2020 Thread Starter

In windows 8 I got this message "Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer." I downloaded Windows Security Essentials and now know I shouldn't have done so.... how can I get this problem fixed...

2. April2020

April2020 Thread Starter

Windows 8---- I got this message "Windows Defender has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer."
    I did have a virus and removed it. It was recommended that I was to download the Window Defender offline which I did, but now I have this other problem where I can't get the windows defender to work proper.
    I downloaded Windows Security Essentials and now know I shouldn't have done so.... how can I get this problem fixed...

3. dai

dai

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The Windows 8 Windows Defender is Microsoft Security Essentials renamed. I would first uninstall MSE and see if Windows Defender comes back to life.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I've merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

6. vlrbsf

vlrbsf

I had this problem when Norton expired. I removed all Norton products, ran Ccleaner, rebooted, Then I was able to start Defender.

7. golddust

golddust

You apparently didn't run the Norton Removal Tool. Enough Norton junk is still on your computer that Windows Defender didn't know it needed to turn back on. Run the Removal Tool and the rest of the Norton junk will be deleted - no need to reinstall and start over.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086847