1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window Explorer crashes and lags due to possibly corrupt file

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jungegift, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jungegift

jungegift Thread Starter

Hello,

I've been having some frustrating issues with Windows Explorer (on Windows 7), and I've pinpointed the cause to one stubborn wmv file on my external hard drive. Whenever Explorer accesses the location of this wmv file (unfortunately the root directory), the green bar at the top starts slowly running, presumably trying to load the thumbnail of that wmv file. This wreaks havoc everywhere, as any other folders I navigate to then have missing thumbnails that will not load... and when I go to "Computer", it's completely empty and the green bar atop runs indefinitely, but never makes any progress... only heating my computer frustratingly. Furthermore, when I restart explorer, the error "the remove procedure call failed" shows. Logging off or pressing Ctrl+N in explorer have provided temporary solutions so far.

When I try to delete, move, or rename this wmv file, Explorer just freezes altogether. Is this file corrupt? What can I do about this file? I'd preferably like to save somewhere else before deleting it.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Hello jungegift and Welcome to TSG!

Try booting to Safe Mode and accessing the remote drive. Do you have the same issue?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088077

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice