1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chuck Hender, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chuck Hender

Chuck Hender Thread Starter

Suddenly can't access Windows Explorer, Internet Esplorer, Control Panel. Was trying to view files on floppy in a: drive
    and system locked up. Restarted and then could not open any of the explorers.

Reloaded windows, updated to service pack 4, download and updated Internet Explorer.

When try to open Desktop goes blank for few seconds then comes back to desktop.

Chuck Henderson
    [email protected]

2. waleed

waleed

Hi...
    did you resolve your problem?
    i have the same condition on my computer.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks

3. Alhana

Alhana

I too have this problem..seems to be happening to alot of people in the last few days...if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

4. jasnhrpr

jasnhrpr

My mother-in-law is having the exact same problem. I have been searching for a fix, but I have not come up with anything yet. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

5. Munki-Claus

Munki-Claus

I have this problem, sometimes it says explorer has an error and then it wants me to send an error report, other times it just gets rid of everything on the desktop except the background for a few seconds then it all comes back minus a program or 2 that I may have been using, this has only been happening recently and there is no reason for it.
    I've run all the spyware removers and there are no viruses, ive also repaired the windows installation from the cd, still no joy. any ideas?

6. rsamberg

rsamberg

This is the first place I've come to & seen the EXACT same problem. System is Win2K, though...not XP. Event Viewer shows Event ID 1002, Shell stopped unexpectedly.

Cannot open Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, Control Panel, Printers folder, etc. Windows Explorer crashes & restarts, (as explorer.exe is supposed to....)but each subsequent attempt to browse causes another crash. I get no error message, so I am assuming there is no log file anywhere except for the event viewer. I can run other apps with no problem (i.e. Lotus Notes, spreadsheets, Organizer, etc). Anything having to do with Explorer.exe must be launched from a RUN command, including control panel applets. Trying to launch IE is futile-nothing happens...nothing shows up in task manager/processes...as if it does not exist. (running explorer.exe from a RUN command causes it to crash & restart, too)

I've run AV scan & Spybot, both came up clean. I have "removed" IE6 (to the extent that it can be removed), removed SP4, and then reinstalled IE6, SP4 & all critical updates. I saw in another post that someone had a similar problem, and defragging seemed to take care of it. Anyone else tried that?

This discussion thread is relatively old, but I wondered if anyone has come up with a definitive solution?

Many thanks!

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    try Start > Run > type SFC /SCANNOW. It will ask you for the CD.

It may work.

8. rsamberg

rsamberg

sorry...I forgot to mention that I had run SFC /scannow. (thanks for mentioning it, though)

Event log was then full of messages that "this file could or could not be replaced", one entry for each file SFC wanted to replace. I'm not sure if that's normal, but in any case, there was no result from SFC.
    The other thing I have not yet run is CHKDSK /F...maybe somehow there's a bad sector on the disk & explorer.exe was magically written to it?

Unfortunately, this PC is not in front of me, so everything I've tried has been via VNC...& it figures that it's one of my company's V.P.s that's having the problem...
    Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

9. rsamberg

rsamberg

Ok here's an update...

Today we booted to the recovery console so we could run CHKDSK. Did that...no errors/bad sectors found. While we were in the recovery console, we extracted a clean copy of explorer.exe to the WINNT folder, and rebooted. Still no dice.

At this point we are about to rebuild clean. Any other ideas before I give up & let Windows win?

Thanks

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Everybody try using the utilities below in my signature. (Spybot S&D, Lavasoft Ad-Aware and CWShredder).

When you use these utilities, download and run HighJackThis. When you scan the computer, save the log (DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET). When you save it, a new log in WordPad appears. Copy that and post it here. But everyone, please make a new thread for your logs. Do not post your logs on this thread as it is Chuck's thread.

11. waleed

waleed

Hey All,
    Apparently, when I ran a virus scan, Mc Afee captured some DLL files telling me that they were infected. I subsequently deleted those files after placing them in quarantine and was since then unable to open internet explorer, control panel, documents, windows explorer, etc.
    I had to fl;ash my disk and reload xp along with all the application software i had there.
    Yes...you guessed! I lost all my documents and pictures i had.
    Hope you guys resolve your problems.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice