1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window Focus Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by darkblack, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkblack

darkblack Thread Starter

Hi,

I am having this issue with a custom built PC running on core 2 duo with 2gigs of RAM and ATI 2600 PRO PCIe GPU and 17inch wide LCD Monitor. This is a new PC and am having the issue from the beginning. The OS is Vista ultimate with all the updates installed.

There are two issues that occur. They sometime occur randomly during an active session or sometimes occur during windows start-up itself. Either issue1 occurs or issue2 occurs but not together.

issue 1: Not able to focus on any of the open windows ie not able to make any of the open windows active: When i click on the status bar or content area of an open window the window is not made active. And also if i click on any of the active windows, it immediately becomes inactive.

Even when i click on the minimize, maximize or close buttons on the right top corner nothing happens. But when i use alt+tab to select an open window, then the window gains focus / becomes active and i am able to use tab to cycle between the items in the window.

But i am still able to double click and open items from the desktop when this issue occurs.

Issue 2: Not able to click on the start button (windows button), when i do so nothing happens. Also not able to right click on the task bar aswell. When this occurs, not able to double click on anything on the desktop as well. But windows+R (RUN) works and am able to type into it to open my computer etc. When i type and open windows through run, those windows act normally

Its kind of difficult to explain, i hope i make sense.

I am sure nothing is wrong with the mouse because i tried using 3 different mouse which work normally in outer computers

I haven't experienced such a problem in my several years of using windows. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. unbidden

unbidden

Try creating a new user account and see if all is well on that account (don't remove the current account). If all is well on the new account, you may have a corrupt user profile; if that is the case; move all your data to the new account. Leave the old account there until you are absolutely sure you have everything you need moved to the new.

Other than that, you could try a repair install, or a system restore, but if the account is corrupt, I'm not so sure that will fix it.

3. darkblack

darkblack Thread Starter

I have tried both adding a new account and even freshly re-installing vista, nothing seems to help. Do you think this might be a h/w related issue?

Thanks

4. unbidden

unbidden

Are you saying you did a clean install having wiped out the drive and started anew?

I'm a little at a loss as to hardware causing the focus problem; it seems you have eliminated the mouse as a problem. If using a usb mouse, try a ps2, vice versa if using usb.

5. darkblack

darkblack Thread Starter

hi,
    Sorry if i confused you with my message. First i created a new account, logged in with that account and tried, while using the account too i got the focus issue randomly.

Next i did a clear reinstall of the OS, which again did not fix it, still getting the problem.

All the mice i tried were USB. Couldnt get my hand on a PS2.

Thanks

6. unbidden

unbidden

Ask, around. someone you know must have a ps2 lying around.

Have you at least tried using a different usb port? The clean install would suggest that this is hardware related.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice