1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window XP Desktop Wallpaper Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Mccavity, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mccavity

Mccavity Thread Starter

Hi All,

Somehow during the installation of a new broadband connection and the removal of some spyware I have lost the ability to select images as desktop wallpaper. All I now get is a blank screen in a colour of my choice!:)

Even if I right click on on image on the web and select 'Set as Background' nothing happens.

The entire list of images available by right clicking on the desktop are now greyed out.

Can anyone tell me what I have done and how to get my images back.

Many thanks in advance.
    Simon

2. slipe

slipe

I would go to the quarantine in the spyware program and restore some stuff that might look promising. Also take a look in your recycle bin for a dll or system file that might have somehow been removed. I’m not sure they would show up in the recycle bin but it is worth a look. Make sure the computer is set to show all files.

While you are figuring out what happened, download one of the wallpapers you like to your computer. If you don’t have a program that will set an image on your computer as wallpaper Irfanview does a nice job with several options. It is free at www.irfanview.com Paint has the capability but it seems a little klunky compared to Irfanview for that (and just about everything else).

3. wilson44512

wilson44512

4. Knotbored

Knotbored

this might be related to ACTIVE DESKTOP
    ON checked accepts *.JPG images
    OFF seems to only accept *.BMP images

Try right clicking anywhere on blank desktop/choose ACTIVE DESKTOP and see if background reapears.(this is a useless ffeature with dialup-but seems to be the default)
    I copied the backgrounds as *.BMP pictures to use with OFF.

5. jen_desi01

jen_desi01

Mccavity, did you get your desktop to work? I have been having this problem for about two weeks now, I can't change anything, if you happen to figure it out can you let me know? Thanks

6. golfgal

golfgal

I am having the same problem.....does anyone have any suggestions

7. vicks

vicks

Have you tried right clicking on the desktop, select properties, select desktop tab, go to browse, in choice that come up, select my documents/ my pictures and click on what you want to use. I have added pictures for my wallpaper this way several times.
    good luck.
    vicks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486847

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice