Window XP Freezes on boot up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jplouse

When I start XP it gets to the Black page that shows Windows XP and the small bar beneath it that gives the appearance of loading. Once it gets here it just stops however, the bar keeps going. I am able to start in safe mode. I have switched video cards and disabled my USB ports. I don't know what else to do. Can you help??

THanks

Jack:(

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
hi, If you could see anything, you did not need a new video card!
XP does not sometimes react well to hardware changes, and if you disable devices, it can result in more erratic behavior, as the startup includes the hardware environment check that XP does to see if it is running in the same machine. You can change the video card as many times as you want, after the first such change there is NO affect on XP for video cards.

Were you using an onboard chip video device? Some of these boards there are setttings in the BIOS to change to allow the first priority to the added in AGP/PCI slot card, does yours have these settings?

Got the motherboard manual handy? if not post the make and model and we can look for one for you. If you don't know the make and model, use this, it may ID the motherboard for you:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AIDA32_-_Personal_System_Information_d181.html

See what that tells you about the motherboard, post the make and model it shows please.

Do you have your XP install CD handy? Some of the branded systems that use Recovery CDs will load the Recovery console, and running that can fix problems with the bootup.
Can be slightly dangerous, but not usually...I do advise that you use Safe Mode to back up anything really important....can you use anything like a CD burner to move any data you cannot afford to accidentally lose? Or, some other media?

I would rather you post the mobo information first, before trying anyting else, it could be a simple BIOS setting, or that you need to just go into the BIOS and set the Defaults and save/exit to end your problem.

jplouse

I have already went into the BIOS and changed the on board video to PCI slot for another video card that I already had. I had the same results with both.

jplouse

I also used that program to determine the brand of my motheboard. It was unknown.

One of my pc's did this frequently. Drove me crazy as sometimes it would boot then suddenly freeze, other times it would freeze while in the boot process itself. Someone suggested I remove Norton Antivirus. I removed Norton completely and my bootup process returned to normal. No more problems. Do you use Norton?

jplouse

I don't use Norton. My friend just gave me this computer to use for school. It supposedly ran before. He installed windows for me and this was the result.

I found the motherboard website and downloaded the graphics something? Anyway it worked the first time it booted but after that it went back to the same old thing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online