1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

window xp home cant connect to pc with window xp pro on a setuped small network

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by geejun2, Dec 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geejun2

geejun2 Thread Starter

hi.
    i am using windows xp home on a wireless router while my bro is using windows xp pro on the LAN of the router. he is able to access my pc after i shared my drive but i couldnt access his at all. his is also shared and i hav set up a small network with the same name. i can see the name of his pc but i couldnt enter. the error msg reads :
    " \\name of pc is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if u have xs permissions. Logon failure : the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

my bros pc is on Norton antivirus 2005. and both our service pack is SP1.

thanx

2. geejun2

geejun2 Thread Starter

hi... anyone out there that could help me?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Create an account on his machine with the same name/password as you use to logon to your machine, you should be able to access the machine at that point. Also, make sure that there isn't a firewall restriction that's preventing you from accessing his machine.

4. geejun2

geejun2 Thread Starter

hi will,
    do u mean tht i need to log on with the same user name n password to his pc first before being able to access his pc? thanx a million

5. JohnWill

All you really need is an account created on the machine with the shared resource that has the same name/password as the connecting machine uses to logon to Microsoft Networking. You don't actually have to use that account on the machine with the shared resource.

6. geejun2

geejun2 Thread Starter

hi john..
    i tried it de.. but it isnt workin at all. any other idea? i have norton antivrus in the computer which cant be xs... i switch it off but it is still the same? any other idea?

7. geejun2

geejun2 Thread Starter

hello...
    sorry i hav to write here again so tht i can get some help... really need some pls...
    problem is stil unsolved...
    THANK YOU!!!

8. JohnWill

Start at the top of the list and work down. Tell us when you get into trouble.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

9. jmoRetired

jmoRetired

TKS for the reply. The problem I am having is that I cannot map a share point in either my XP PRo or W2K machine FROM my XP Home machine. I can map a share point in my XP Home from either. When I attempt to map a share point, e.g., C$, in my XP Pro machine the XP Home machine asks for a password for "xppromachinename/guest". I have not assigned a password for the C$ sharepoint in my XP Pro machine. I have turned on the guest account in both machines to no avail. All machines on my little network are in the same workgroup. I can also successfully ping each machine.

10. geejun2

geejun2 Thread Starter

hi...
    john will.. i did everything tht u said but stil at the end... i stil cant enter the shared folder of the other pc.
    thanx

11. JohnWill

Checklist for networking Windows Machines with TCP/IP
    -----------------------------------------------------
    - PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
    - Each PC must have a unique computer name.
    - Each PC must have a network share defined.
    - ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
    - XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
    - MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
    - All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
    * To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
    - XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
    - All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
    - PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or
    for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:
    -----------------------------------------------------
    - Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
    - XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
    Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Check XP Security policies:
    --------------------------
    - Access this computer from the network: add guest
    - Deny logon locally: remove guest
    - Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
    - Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/423985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice