1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window XP - linksys wireless access point G trouble

Discussion in 'Networking' started by byohazard2k2, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. byohazard2k2

byohazard2k2 Thread Starter

Hello I need help. I have been trying to get wireless internet through the use of a lynksys wireless access point. I have an HP laptop using windows XP. I setup the access point using the disk and once I save the configuration, the computer indicates that there is a connection, however I cannot access the internet. The Lynksys support line is not much help and frankly they are quite rude. I am not a computer buff, so I claim some ignorance. If someone could walk me through the process or if someone has had a similar experience and can tell me where I'm getting hung up I would greatly appreciate it.

2. tronh

tronh

thanks for the new thread. Please describe your internet configuration: cable or DSL or through an office network? If cable or DSL, what kind of modem/router do you have (brand & model) or is the Linksys serving as the router? In other words, is there another piece of equipment between the Linksys and your Internet connection.

You say you get a connection to the Linksys -- if you right-click on the connection icon in the system tray (by the time in the bottom right corner of the screen), then choose Status, then click on the Support tab, does it show an IP Address? If so, what is it and what is the gateway address. If it is 0.0.0.0 or an "autoconfiguration" addres, click the Repair button. What happens?

In general, we need to determine if the connection from the PC to the Linksys is actually functional, and if the Linksys has a connectioni to the Internet.

3. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

...yeah... what he said.

Also, when you setup the access point (or router?), did you enable the WEP encryption? If you did, did you also give the encryption key to the wireless computer?

BTW, its a good idea to enable the WEP. Its not a foolproof encryption, but it does keep most random people from hopping onto your network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice