1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window XP Program Files empty?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AZSoapmaker, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AZSoapmaker

AZSoapmaker Thread Starter

I have windows xp. When I click on start, all prgrams - the list of programs shows up but alot of those folders are empy. Games, System tools, Microsoft Money, Microsoft Office Tools and many others are all empty. I apologize if this is a stupid question. :) I'm afraid I've done something by mistake to mess these folders up. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Several years ago I lost a directory called Utilities that I made up, All of the programs that were associated with it were gone also, it was just like someone took an xacto knife and cut them out of my system. The only way I go them back was to re-install them.

This might be your answer also.

3. bingo24

bingo24

Have you scanned your computer for a possible virus?
    Try using one of the online virus scanners like HouseCall or Panda then report back with your findings.

4. AZSoapmaker

I use AVG and I just ran a complete scan. Nothing there. Any other ideas?

5. jvik2

jvik2

Did You Try System Restore?

6. AZSoapmaker

I tried that but the furthest back I could go was Aug 06. Is there a way to go back further?

7. stantley

stantley

I'm wondering if maybe it's only the shortcuts that are missing. Look to see if the actual programs are still there. You mentioned Microsoft Money, see if C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money still has a whole bunch of files in there.

8. jvik2

jvik2

Go To My Computer, Open It Up,right Click On Local Disk C, Open It Up, Go To Documents And Settings, Open It Up,go To All Users. Open That Up.go To Start Menu Open It Up. The Program Folder Open It .it Should Show All Your Programs. See If You Can Create Shortcuts I Hope This Will Help Ya

9. AZSoapmaker

Microsoft Money does have files in there. If I lost the shortcuts, how do I get them back on the menu?

What about Accessories - System tools - Can I somehow put those items back on the menu?

10. stantley

stantley

The shortcuts for the start menu are in basically two places. Most of the general ones are in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs and ones that you installed for a particular username are in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs.

Maybe you accidentally moved the All Users folder. Do a windows search on Microsoft Money and see where the shortcut for it is.

11. AZSoapmaker

I found Microsoft Money here - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    but I can not find a shortcut.

12. stantley

stantley

Does the icon have a small arrow on the bottom?

13. AZSoapmaker

No, there is no arrow.

14. ChuckE

ChuckE

All the icons in the (anybody) Start Menu are shortcut icons. Unless you accidentally placed a program there, but no installation program would do so.

Prove it to yourself by just doing a right-click on any one of them, and select Properties. You'll see a shortcut tab and the associated selection that would normally be there. Windows installation programs do not place shortcut icons in the Start menu with the usual "shortcut arrow" on the icon.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/513912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice