1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

window XP SP1 display problem. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hashir, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hashir

hashir Thread Starter

Hi,

I have spent the last 4 hours trying to correct my display but all attempts rendered futile...please i need help :( !
    History:
    Purchased HP zt3000 pavilion laptop 2 days ago- XP home SP1.
    Installed game Half Life 2 yesterday and played it successfully.
    Today Morning: Started my computer and to my surprise the windows display..namely on my desktop was weird. It showed funny vertical/horizontal lines, mix up of colors, mouse cursor appeared as a tiny dot.
    Last 4 hours: I went to windows display settings and did some trouble shooting. When asked to reduce the screen to 800 x 600 and reduce hardware acceleration to None. Everything went away!! However, even a little bit of an increase to screen resolution or hardware acceleration the weird lines etc appeared again. I have also tried System Restore and made change to display settings in Safe Mode. Even an increase in the Safe Mode originates thick black and white lines.
    Anyway, all i want is to be able to run on Full hardware acceleration and increase my screen resolution.
    My monitor screen refresh is 60 hertz.
    Please, i will be grateful if you would assist me.
    Thank you.

Hashir

2. paranoir

paranoir

I'm having a similar problem with my computer, after reading the first post I'm guessing that Half Life 2 is the cause of the problem. Got HL2 and installed it on christmas day and it worked fine, the next morning when I turned on my computer the screen has a yellowish colour to it, like as if im looking at it thru yellow glass, also text is kind of blurred and smudged to the right. The screen is like this all the time, not just when im playing the game. I was thinking that maybe its a problem with the actual monitor and i'm going to try to get my hands on a friends monitor and hook it up to my computer and see if its still yellow. I'll post again after i try this but until then any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/309369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice