1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Window xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tushrash, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tushrash

tushrash Thread Starter

Hello friends i have a window xp with pentium 4. when i start my pc ..nothing appears except a black screen on which it is written that Disk read error occured press ctrl+alt+del to restart your pc..plz plz plz tell me how to solve this problem????

2. valis

valis Moderator

Disk read error could be a lot of things, but if you are being prompted for a password, now is the time to tell us, as we cannot assist with those.

thanks,

v

3. tushrash

tushrash Thread Starter

no password sir, when i switch on my pc with win xp only a black screen appears saying Disk read error occured press ctrl+alt+del to restart your pc... i dont know what is this problem and how it came..becuz 1 day before pc was alright

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

But you wrote in your first Post....

So which is correct..? They cannot both be correct. That is why my colleague Valis asked you about a password.

T.

5. tushrash

tushrash Thread Starter

I have more than 1 pc....and in one pc i am using guest account which you cannot help because of rule book and i respect that and other one just went blank..so if you could help me with the other one...that'd be great. :) i am new to this site and dont know evythin about it...

6. tushrash

tushrash Thread Starter

Both the fans are working perfectly fine..

7. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    That means that your hard drive is either defective or needs to be reprogrammed with your OS.

8. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

That's a really old computer, so if the hard drive hasn't been replaced it makes sense that it failed. Since Windows XP isn't supported any longer, you should get a new computer rather than replace the drive.

9. Clarkcc23

Clarkcc23

To expand on texasbullet's answer, if you are comfortable working inside your PC, I would re-seat all of your hard drives AND memory sticks. (Since you are already in there, it won't hurt to re-seat and even move the mem stick around to different slots.) It could most likely be a bad hard drive, and this is an easy first step for diagnosing your problem.

I get kind of irritated with other people who just immediately blame Windows XP for any problem. It may be dead to Microsoft, but not to many of us who for whatever reason, are still using Win XP. Windows XP has been one of the most reliable operating systems Microsoft has ever released. I have been using it (Windows XP - SP3) since it was first available and have never had any major problems with it. The only thing I use for security is Microsoft Security Essentials. I personally feel that, (unless your question is something REALLY basic like "What button do I push to start my computer?"), any question deserves an honest and helpful answer.

A new hard drive is a lot cheaper than a new computer.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  10. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    and besides Carkcc comments, you may want to check your computers manufacturer website to see if there are any drivers available for your computer for windows vista and/or windows 7. If there are you can just update your computer, buy a genuine Windows 7 OS and install it there. Make sure to backup all your documents if possible. If you don't know on how to check for your drivers just give us your computers model number and manufacturer company.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand how we can advise somebody to replace the hard drive, buy a new computer or buy Vista or Windows 7 when we don't know the person's circumstances (likes, dislikes, funds, needs, overall condition of computer, etc.), don't know how bad the hard drive is, and it is next to impossible to buy a legitimate and genuine Windows 7 or Vista.

Suggest that you run diagnostics on the hard drive (after first following Clark's advice about checking the connections). Maybe the BIOS includes one; usually the best diagnostic is obtained from the hard drive manufacturer.

12. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You're right, TerryNet.
    A new hard drive is maybe $50.
    A new computer is $200.

We should see what the OP needs or wants.

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    tushrash hasn't replied back in 8 days, so all comments and advice are probably falling on deaf ears.

Also, no specs (except for it having a Pentium 4 processor) have been submitted for that computer.

------------------------------------------------------------

14. Tabvla

Tabvla

Frank, methinks that ye olde XP Pentium may have finally have passed its sell-by date... :p

T.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice