1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 - 2 desktop icons not working

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Mellum, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mellum

Mellum Thread Starter

For no apparent reason, just two ( among many)icons on my desktop have stopped responding. Left clk on them does nothing. Right clk shows normal command selection box. Both icons are for security programmes. CCleaner and Root Killer.

I have uninstalled the programmes using Revo and reinstalled CCleaner and the new icon is working fine. The old icon is still on the desktop and unresponsive.

I have been using the same security programmes for some time. Avast free - Hitman Pro - Super Anti Spyware (free) - and Bitfender Adware Removal.

I have recently had a new solid state hard drive installed professionally in my desktop computer and everything has been working normally for about a month. The only other factor may be that I am occasionally using Cyber Ghost 6 VPN but again I have had it for 6 months without any issues.

Suggestions to delete these 2 icons would be appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Does the right click show Delete and/or Properties?

3. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  4. NathanielFalardeau

NathanielFalardeau Temporarily Banned

Hi Mellum,

I had a similar issue, except every time I was trying to right click on my desktop/taskbar it would load forever and it would make my computer really slow. I went through 3 different laptops and they all had the same issue. I fixed my problem by going to my computers manufacturer website, and finding my laptops drivers. I downloaded and installed the drivers that had to do with my integrated and dedicated graphics and when I rebooted my computer, it worked perfect. The drivers are normally called VGA generic drivers on their website.

It seems like important drivers on Windows 10 systems are corrupted or are missing completely when you get them out of the box (this sometimes happens). This problem happens most often when people reset their computers.

Nathaniel Falardeau

5. Mellum

Mellum Thread Starter

No Delete - The box contains :- View - Sort by - Refresh - Graphics Properties - Graphics Options - New - Display Settings
    I looked at each of these and couldn't find any way to resolve the problem. I tried Refresh but no result.

6. Mellum

Mellum Thread Starter

Looking into the other suggestions - Please give me a couple of days.

7. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  8. Mellum

Mellum Thread Starter

All solved. I got my mobile tech guy to check it out. Somehow, I managed to create a mirror image of my desktop. Weird thing is, most of the icons were still active but those I have mentioned were not.
    He reset the desktop and the inactive icons have disappeared. You live and hopefully - learn.

Thanks to you guys for your input.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice