Solved Windows 10 64-bit - Icons rt of taskbar disappear randomly

grissom

HI all,

Never had this problem before in any Windows version, so puzzled.

Randomly the icons to the right side of my taskbar (the time, wi-fi, antivirus, etc.) disappear and do not return without a system restart. Then they are fine until the next time.

I have 'display all icons' in settings and have 'locked' the taskbar, I use small icons - always have.

Can anyone begin to help with this problem please? More specified info upon request.

2 things that I can think of when it has happened: 1, when starting Malwarebytes and 2, when starting to play a video file (using VLC). Not the only causes, - just two which happened recently. Other times the same instances have not caused the problem.

When I say it is a problem, it really is, because I cannot know for certain that my firewall, antivirus etc. are working when eg shopping online, banking, etc.

Many thanks for any help.

To estimate how serious this problem is, create a new user account on your PC. Log into that account and see if the problem persists with that new account.

grissom

Thank you for the reply and suggestion.

I found the following page on duckduckgo.com:- https://thegeekpage.com/fix-taskbar-icons-missing-windows-10/ and tried method 2 before I read your reply.
So far, this has worked perfectly, fingers crossed. It is simply to delete the icon cache file in the appdata local folder (it renames it to 'Old') and then reboot. Windows creates the file anew on reboot.

As I said, it has worked all day for me. If that continues I'll mark as solved, otherwise I'll reply again

Many thanks for your interest.

grissom

For anyone suffering this problem, it's Microsoft causing it!

The update KB5003254 is causing this problem for many people according to internet reports. I've uninstalled it until Microsoft get it right. The methods that I mentioned above were older than this Microsoft update and only worked temporarily.

Hope this is helpful news for fellow sufferers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online