Windows 10 activation

Couriant

James
I would not. IMO attempting an install from within windows leads to more problems. Much better to boot with an install usb and delete ALL partitions on the system drive.
Up to you how you want to proceeded.
I agree, a fresh clean install is always the best recourse as that will ensure that you are not leaving anything corrupt behind.

adrlian

After talking to microsoft support today and letting him override my computer he told me i needed to buy a new license key because the old one didnt work due to some changes of computer parts, which confuses me cause i havent changed any parts to my computers since i got it and windows worked fine for over a year but now suddenly it stopped working? if the parts already have been made changes to, how would it work untill now?

crjdriver

OEM type keys are valid with the original hardware ONLY. If your system came with win10, then it is an OEM type lic.
You may well need to purchase a new windows lic/key however nothing stops you from trying the clean install and see if it will activate on its own. If it does not work, then you can always purchase the new key.

Couriant

James
After talking to microsoft support today and letting him override my computer he told me i needed to buy a new license key because the old one didnt work due to some changes of computer parts, which confuses me cause i havent changed any parts to my computers since i got it and windows worked fine for over a year but now suddenly it stopped working? if the parts already have been made changes to, how would it work untill now?
Hmm did you ask the Microsoft technician if changing the Secure Boot would affect that like it's a hardware change?

And to confirm, the product key on the computer is a windows 10 product key? If so what is the description of the product key (i.e. Windows 10 Home OEM, etc). Here is an example

1603220705315.png

Before you buy a new key try to see if it will activate after clean install and if not buy a key.
P.S. do not buy those $5 product keys from EBay or sketchy sights

The seller refused to give my a refund and kept saying it was a legit product key
The key is indeed legit, but not for those to whom they sell it further.
Anyone can get legitimate keys from Microsoft and sell them around.

The old saying says: "Old tricks, new idiots"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online