Windows 10, after a power loss, sleep mode won't wake up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pbman

We've had some power offs and ons due to snow storms recently. But, I don't know if the power is the actual problem.

Typically when I come to the computer its in the sleep mode and a mouse movement or keyboard key would wake up the machine. In the last few days neither do a thing.

A couple observations-

1) My Samsung monitor's power blue light , stays blue and blinks
2) The case power on button light is on and steady lite.
3) Pressing the reset doesn't go to reset, kind of does nothing
4) Pressing and holding the power button acts the same as the reset

In the end , I turn the power strip off then on again and then all's well.

The board is an Asus, with an AMD processor, 16 gig mem.

Samsung SSD

Any ideas?

Thanks

have u tried too do a factory reset ? when ever i have a problem with my computer i just factory resett it and all the problems disapear(but also all your other saves so move every thing over on usb drive first..

A factory reset is more something you'd want to do if other fixes are not working. If you are going that route, I would recommend trying a previous restore point first (if you have that enabled).

BEFORE you try any of that, you mentioned you are having power issues recently. If you run a reset and the power goes out during it, you can cause serious damage to your system, without having a backup beforehand.

dmccoy

Darrin
It sounds like you may have an issue with your power supply unit. It doesn’t sound like a software issue. If you are comfortable with testing I would start there or check with know good one.

well if your'e computer has a problem cus its to hot , than i recomend my cold-bottle-fix-up -method.. u just take a ice cold botle of water (can be frozen i u want ) and place it somewhere in the computer when its running. u can see the temps drop for a while butt u gotta change the water now and then when the ice has melt

well if your'e computer has a problem cus its to hot , than i recomend my cold-bottle-fix-up -method.. u just take a ice cold botle of water (can be frozen i u want ) and place it somewhere in the computer when its running. u can see the temps drop for a while butt u gotta change the water now and then when the ice has melt
No no no! You do not place a bottle of ice water INSIDE a computer! Assuming you could get it inside the PC to begin with, any kind of water bottle, even frozen, will eventually develop condensation on or under it. This means you will have WATER dripping and pooling by all of the sensitive electronic components that water can destroy. Power supply, motherboard, etc. That is a good way to kill your PC fast.

There was an experiment done with ice water in FRONT of a PC, where the fans pulled in the cooler air. The effect was negligible. https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...of-ice-in-front-of-the-computer-cool-it-down/

Power outages can cause computer software issues while the computer is writing to the HD at that specific moment. If you are running Windows 7 or Vista, right-click the Start Button and select Command Prompt (Administrator) to open a black plain text window. Type in "sfc /scannow" to run Microsoft's System File Checker program to check for OS file errors. Be sure to have your original Windows OS CD/DVD on hand to recover any errors it finds. Or optionally you can do an overlay install (repair install, in-place install) of your OS - Google instructions on how to do this.
If you are running Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, do the same as above and follow with a second instruction ("dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth") in the window. This is the new OS file checker called Deployment Image Servicing and Management for Windows 8 and beyond.

Hi, I must say I got a good laugh with the jug of frozen water. It might be you have faststart set to on, and some problems with the hiberfil.sys file.

Go to power settings and set sleep to "never", next open a cmd prompt as admin (search, type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. At the prompt copy paste:-

powercfg -h off (press enter), this will disable fast start and also hibernation, clearing any potential corruption from the hiberfil.sys file. Restart computer.

You can now turn sleep back on and open a cmd as admin (as shown) and type:-

powercfg -h on (press enter)

This will allow faststart(if you use it, I don't) and hibernation.Let us know how you get on, as said it may be you have hardware power issues so testing the PSU is a good move the sfc & Dism cmds will do no harm.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It reminds me of the OLD Ice Boxes, where a block of ice was placed in a side compartment to keep foods chilled!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online