1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 and Older Progams

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by referee07, Oct 6, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new computer and it has Windows 10 as the operating system. (My previous computers were Windows 7.) I have an older data base program (My Database by My Software). I have the program disk for the database program and I am able to load the program into my Windows 10 computer. But, when I try to load the database program data from my older computer to the program on my new computer, the data appears to be incorporated into the program, but I can't edit anything and the screens appear vastly different. I am wondering if there is a setting on Windows 10 that allows older programs to be installed into Windows 10 and keep the original program on the new computer? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

2. Sponsor

3. texasbullet

texasbullet Ramon

Have you checked the manufacturerers website for any updates on the program.
    You can also select the program on the main menu and right click on it and select "troubleshoot compatibility" and follow on screen instructions.

4. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

Texasbullet, thanks for you reply. I looked online for a website for this program but I couldn't find one. (The copyright for this program was 1994 - 2002, and when I clicked on the "Help" button, no website could be found. I also tried the "Troubleshoot Capability" option, and was not able to correct the situation when I chose to try to fix the problem using the Windows 7 option." I have to believe that the problem has something to do with Windows 10 because it work well in the Windows 7 environment. Can you suggest anything else to try to correct the problem. Thank you again for your suggestions; they are greatly appreciated.

5. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

6. texasbullet

texasbullet Ramon

Since the program is too old I don't thing it may be compatible with W10. I have some old programs too and some of them I could install them on my W10 OS but others failed to install. If you still have W7 I would just suggest to continue using it or buy a new program as David stated above which may be compatible with W10 but may need to contact them to verify it.

7. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

My Tree and texasbullet, thanks for your replies. Texasbullet, I followed the link to the Avanquest website and the new database program advertised looks like it might be a "grown-up" version of the program that I have. I too saw that Windows 10 is absent from the list of OS that will accommodate this newer program. The chat like was closed for weekend, but I will try chatting when the line is open to see if the program that I have can be resurrected to work on a Windows 10 computer.

My tree, I plan to eventually recycle my Windows 7 computer and, eventually, plan not to use it anymore. Also, I have literally decades of names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. on my older data base and hate to think about losing this date.

I will keep working on this and let you know happens.

Finally, thanks again for the help with thisl

8. DaveA

From the Windows 7 machine, is there some way of exporting to a spreadsheet of even a "delimited separated file".
    This will allow you to import this data into most any new database or spreadsheet program.

More info see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delimiter-separated_values

9. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

My Tree, thanks again. I will try to use your suggestion when I return home this evening and post what happens.

10. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

texasbullet and My Tree, I have been corresponding from someone with Avanquest regarding this problem, and yesterday I received the following e-mail:

"Thank you for contacting Avanquest Technical Support.

We apologize for the inconvenience. The version of MyDatabase that you have is not tested to work with Windows 10. You may be able to install the program but there will be issues because of incompatibilities. Even the latest version is not tested to work with Windows 10. It will only work with Windows XP, Vista®, 7 or 8.

If you have any further questions, please write back to us."

However, I am still not willing to give up. My Tree, can you give me any advise as to how to accomplish exporting the data from my older MyDatabase to a spreadsheet or a delimited separated file? I followed the link that you provided, but it seems a little complicated to me. Thanks again for the help.

11. texasbullet

texasbullet Ramon

Have you tried on highlighting your my database icon on your desktop, right click on it, select "troubleshoot compatibility", and follow on screen instructions until you get to the part to try either Windows XP or Windows 7 and follow on screen instructions.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  12. DaveA

In most databases, one will find under "File" 'Export' and go from there.
    Then when you get the "delimited separated file" made, it can be imported into a spread sheet and/or database program.

Have you checked out the Help within MyDatabase, looking for Export?

13. referee07

referee07 Thread Starter

texasbullet and My Tree, I have been busy at work and have not had the time to work on the data base problem, but I wanted to let you know that I haven't given up. I am getting only one day-off per week and I am pretty busy with "stuff" that needs to get done but when I do get the time, I will try your suggestions. Thanks again for your time and expertise.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197442