1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 and Windows 7 Dual Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Gids, Apr 16, 2018 at 3:59 PM.

Advertisement
  1. Gids

Gids Thread Starter

I had Windows 7 pro 64 bit system installed. I removed the Windows 7 system disk. I inserted a new solid state card; and then I placed a Windows 10 pro 64 bit disk in my cdrom drive and proceeded to install Windows 10 on the SSD. My desktop PC is now running Windows 10.

My problem is that when I remove the Windows 10 disk and replace it with the Windows 7 disk, the computer will not boot. I did not expect this to happen! When I try to boot with the Windows 7 disk, I am told to put in a
    bootable disk and hit any key.

I do not want to have to put both systems on the same disk in two separate partitions. What do I have to do in order to have both systems boot up from two separate disks?

I received a response to this post (TYVM) advising me to go into the BIOS and disable the "secure boot" function. When I did, I found that the "secure boot" function was already disabled.

Both Operating Systems were installed on two separate disks from the same computer. The Windows 10 disk loads; but the Windows 7 will not. The Windows 7 disk loaded fine before I installed and ran the Windows 10
    disk. The Windows 7 disk must have boot files on it; why won't the computer recognize these files anymore?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16257 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 It, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 238 GB (179 GB Free); E: 476 GB (345 GB Free); F: 232 GB (181 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z97X-Gaming 7
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Thank you - Gids

2. Sponsor

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

IGU

IGU is I give up
    What is TYVM please - to save me playing guessing games.

Do you mean NOT BOOT as meaning will not even post or do you mean will not load Windows
    I think you mean will not load windows

2. The confusion is arising because of you saying
    and

So to check I am correct
    1. You removed the drive on which Windows 7 was installed
    2. You Inserted a new SSD drive - you say card - is it what may be called a card
    https://www.ebuyer.com/706331-samsu...MI8r7UodG_2gIVkBobCh06zwWvEAQYAiABEgI-u_D_BwE

or simply an SSD drive
    https://www.ebuyer.com/824748-samsu...MIz-yK3tG_2gIVjpTtCh1aQQrQEAYYAyABEgL6tvD_BwE

3. You then using a Windows 10 installation disc a DVD - it may appear semantics but disk is drive and disc is DVD or CD.
    and installed Windows 10. The computer booted and loaded Windows 10.

4. You then say
    and as I said I think you mean it will boot, post but will not load windows 7.
    Did you try leaving the SSD in and installing the drive with 7 back into its original SATA port.
    You do not mention this, as far as I can see you simply say you removed the windows 10 SSD drive.

5. If Windows 7 was installed to an MBR - Master Boot record drive formatted NTFS and NOW windows 10 has been installed to a SSD formatted GPT with UEFI, then the computer is now booting and then the FAT formatted partition on the SSD is responsible for the loading of Windows 10.

6. So if UEFI boot is configured in firmware the computer will not see the Windows 7 installation as a bootable drive, the computer will still post from the firmware, but it cannot proceed to load 7 as it is looking for a FAT partition on the windows 7 drive and if it was installed MBR such partition does not exist

7. The answer is to leave the Windows 10 on the SSD inserted
    Insert the Windows 7 drive back to its original port.
    Load 10
    when in 10
    download
    https://www.boyans.net/dual-boot-repair-windows-10.html

and run as per instructions on link

123Zbyniek likes this.
  4. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

1. When booting a computer with a Windows 7 disk installed, do you have booting from this disk?
    Check setting in BIOS.
    2. If it's a desktop then why do not you leave both disks permanently mounted. You can then choose the boot order - Win 10 or Win 7.
    When installing Windows 10 after Windows 7, such a menu is created automatically.
    3. Now, after installing both disks, physically on your computer, set up booting from the disk on which Windows 10 is installed, install the EasyBCD 2.3 program and set the boot order as you like.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

Thanks for coming in - I am very busy for the next couple of days so I will leave this topic with you and see how you go with it

6. Gids

Gids Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick response. (TYVM) Thank You Very Much ( I play too many on-line games). Sorry my description of my problem was so confusing. I hope this explanation is better: My PC had been running Windows 7 pro 64 bit. The operating system was loaded on an SSD. My PC has four front loading slide-out trays. (Hot Swapable) . I logged off from Windows 7; and removed the Windows 7 SSD. I inserted a new SSD in the tray ( where I had removed the Windows 7 SSD. I inserted a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit DVD into my DVD Drive; and installed Windows 10 operating system on the new SSD. My pc is now running Windows 10 without any problems. I expected to be able to remove the SSD with Windows 10 on it; and replace it with the SSD with Windows 7 on it; but much to my surprise, Windows 7 will no longer boot. When I try, the message on the screen says that it is looking for a bootable device. After I posted my problem, I received a response telling me to disable the "secure boot" function in my BIOS. When I went into the BIOS, I found that the "secure boot" function was already disabled. This surprised me because everything I had been reading told me that when you install Windows 10, the "secure boot" function is enabled by default.

I have read your response; and I will have to re-read it a couple of times to better understand what you are suggesting that I do to solve my problem. I really do appreciate your help. Thank you - Gids

7. Gids

Gids Thread Starter

I had Windows 7 on an SSD; and my PC had been running without any problems. My PC has four-front-loading trays (Hot Swapable). I logged off Windows 7 and removed the SSD. I inserted a new SSD into the tray. I inserted a Windows 10 DVD into my DVD Drive and installed Windows 10 on the new SSD. My PC is now running Windows 10 without any problems. When I shut down my PC; and remove the Windows 10 SSD; and replace it with the Windows 7 SSD - my PC will not boot. The message I get is that it is looking for a bootable device. I will be operating my PC with Windows 10 most of the time. But; I would like to be able to run the Windows 7 operating system occasionally. Is there a way that I can do this without having to have both SSD's connected to my PC at the same time? Thank you for your help - Gids

8. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

1. To which trays do you put a disk with Windows 10 and which one with Windows 7? Or maybe the same? Do you see the settings in the BIOS? Which SATA ports are each drive connected to? Make a screen shot with Bios.
    upload_2018-4-17_11-16-37.png
    2. How is the order in which the disks are booted in the BIOS - my question in post # 1 item 1. Provide a screenshot of the BIOS as the boot order is set.
    upload_2018-4-17_11-27-2.png

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1208729