1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 and XP not Connecting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dingus, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Hello folks.
    I'm trying to connect an XP and a Windows 10 together so I can use a printer on the XP machine, but without much luck.
    XP is wireless and the Windows 10 is wired.
    Windows 10 allows mw to create a Homegroup, but then doesn't see the XP machine once I do.
    They are both using the same router to connect to the Internet, and work just fine.
    I'm getting rid of a problem printer that is wired to the router.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Homegroups did not start until Windows 7. Have to use "traditional" file and printer sharing.

A wizard way to enable file and printer sharing on XP:

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a PC with Windows ME or Windows older than ME.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard (but make sure it is not set to “No Exceptions”). You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

The following probably works for Windows 10, but nobody has yet confirmed it.

Short description for Windows 7 and 8/8.1 file and printer sharing:

Go into the Network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private' (or 'Home' or 'Work'). Click on Change advanced sharing settings. In the Private or Home or Work section you can configure File and printer sharing, Public folder sharing, and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

3. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Admin please keep this thread open.
    I will be a while until I can resume trying to resolve this.

4. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Well it has take me a while.
    I've followed your suggetions Terry, but I'm still having issues.

The setup I have:
    A PC with Windows 10 that has the printer attached to it (PC3). I've enabled sharing on the printer.
    Two other PCs that have XP. They can see the PC3 ok when I try to add a printer. However when I double click on PC3 the printer isn't seen, so can't be added.

upload_2017-2-9_14-37-29.png

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just to confirm, before sharing the printer (in Devices and Printers, or whatever it's called) you did enable file and printer sharing on the Windows 10, right? I think it should look similar to my Windows 8.1 screen shot.

Capture.PNG

7. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. I'd already done these hints. I've called the new group 'style'.
    Yes Terry I had done that.
    If you checkout my image it shows PC3-PC with no + sign. So it sees the PC but not the printer. The + sign disappears when I click on it.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are at least two ways to connect to a shared printer from XP. The only way that worked consistently for me was to go to "Show workgroup computers" and then double click on the remote computer with the shared printer. That brought up a window with the shared folder(s) and a link to shared printer(s). If I remember correctly I then right clicked on the printer and selected "connect to printer."

9. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks Terry, I'll give that ago.
    Once again it'll be a little while before I post back.

10. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Also note, that with mix of XP, Vista, Windows and now Windows 10, passwords are wanted to do the sharing. It helps to have common user account names and passwords.

11. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

I'm getting closer guys.
    Now getting this when I enter what I think are the correct details.
    screen_2017-02-17 20.31.00.jpg screen_2017-02-17 20.34.59.jpg

12. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    You need to use an account name and password that is on the XP machine?

Or, make a common account AND password on all machines.

13. Dingus

Dingus Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. All I can get on the W10 machine is HomeGroup. I tried making the XP HomeGroup also.

14. DaveA

First Name:
    David
  15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yep; as I said two months ago in post #2. It's a pretty safe bet that Microsoft is not even trying to add Homegroup to XP. :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1182438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice