Solved Windows 10 Boot Disk

enigmadragon

Phil
Did you download the Media Creation Tool? That's what you need. It is an executable program. Run it and select the option to install on another computer, then select DVD (if you cannot use a USB flashdrive). That will create a bootable disk. You don't need third-party software of any kind.
Yes I downloaded the Media Creation Tool which installs a ISO of Windows 10 on your computer but you still have to burn it to a DVD.

I went through the options on the Media Creation Tool when you run the program. It asks if you want to create installation media (USB, DVD, ISO) for another PC. Then asks if you want to create an ISO file to burn to a DVD later. So I am doing it right.

Last edited:

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It asks if you want to create installation media (USB, DVD, ISO) for another PC.
This is the option you want. It will then offer to create the USB, DVD or ISO. Select DVD, not ISO. That should make a bootable disk.

enigmadragon

Phil
This is the option you want. It will then offer to create the USB, DVD or ISO. Select DVD, not ISO. That should make a bootable disk.
It doesn't ask if you want to make a DVD. Only USB and ISO. I wish I was making this up.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
And then it should create the DVD, no? I cannot honestly say, I've always made the USB drive. It does download the ISO for that process, too, but then creates the bootable flashdrive from it.

enigmadragon

Phil
And then it should create the DVD, no? I cannot honestly say, I've always made the USB drive. It does download the ISO for that process, too, but then creates the bootable flashdrive from it.
There is no option for create a DVD once you get past the first image I made you get to the second image which is either to make a USB drive or a ISO.

Question are you just supposed to burn the ISO to a DVD or are you supposed to unpack the files and then burn them to disc?

Attachments

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK. I've never, as I said, used this tool to create a DVD. From Microsoft's web site:

Select which media you want to use:
  • USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.
  • ISO file. Save an ISO file to your PC, which you can use to create a DVD. After the file is downloaded, you can go to location where the file is saved, or select Open DVD burner, and follow the instructions to burn the file to a DVD. For more info about using an ISO file, see Additional methods for using the ISO file to install Windows 10 section below.
Additional methods for using the ISO file to install Windows 10 (click to show more or less information)

If you downloaded an ISO file for Windows 10, the file is saved locally at the location you selected. If you have a third-party DVD burning program installed on your computer that you prefer to use for creating the installation DVD, that program might open by going to the location where the file is saved and double-clicking the ISO file, or right-click the ISO file, select Open with and choose your preferred DVD burning software.

If you want to use the Windows Disk Image Burner to create an installation DVD, go to the location where the ISO file is saved. Right-click the ISO file and select Properties. On the General tab, click Change and select Windows Explorer for the program you would like to use to open ISO files and select Apply. Then right-click the ISO file and select Burn disc image.

enigmadragon

Phil
OK I used a third laptop to burn the Windows 10 ISO file using the burn disc image option to a disc. I then tried to boot it on the third laptop just to see if it would say "Install Windows" and it did. So I'm installing it on the old Laptop. I have no idea why it wasn't working in the first place but I guess you could say it's solved.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Excellent! You can mark your own thread solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online