1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows 10 clean install stuck in installation loop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GreggIllinois, Jan 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreggIllinois

GreggIllinois Thread Starter

I see there's a similar thread but my situation is different in that I never got to the point of installing updates.

This was the first clean install I did. I did it with the USB stick and after it installed, the screen went black and then brought me back to the beginning of the installation. So I installed it again and the same thing happened. I removed the USB stick and installed again and it brought me back to the initial installation screen.

So I took the only other option which was something like 'Repair this computer.' This gave me several choices, one of which let me continue on to Windows 10, which I chose. That took me to the post installation questions and I was able to install Windows 10 in its entirety.

What did I do wrong that I got stuck in that installation loop?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you set the Bios to make the Usb stick the first boot device then when the install restarted the computer it booted from the Usb stick again which started the install again.

You can either remove the Usb stick as it's restarting OR use the boot menu at the start and choose the Usb stick to boot from just this one time.

(I should have mentioned this in one of your other threads)

GreggIllinois likes this.
  3. GreggIllinois

Thanks Allan. I don't remember setting the Bios to make the USB stick first but it may have been set up that way (by me or somebody else) anyway. That seems like the most logical explanation anyway.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thinking about it when the install reboots it should have changed the startup device to the hard drive.

Are you booting into the USB stick ?

5. GreggIllinois

I don't know. I'm not on that computer. I'll check the boot order next time and see.

Are you supposed to remove the USB stick at some point in the installation? (It didn't say anything about that in MCT's wizard.)

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I forgot before, you can leave the Usb stick in, the system should boot from the hard drive when the install restarts the computer.
    Try removing it if the problem persists though, it can't do any harm.

Some things to check :-

Make sure it's booting from the Usb stick
    Only a single HDD/SSD connected

7. GreggIllinois

Okay, thanks. Yeah, I didn't hear anything about removing the USB stick. And there was only the one hard drive in the computer. And it was installing Windows 10 so it must've been booting from the USB stick, right? (It was a Windows 7 computer.)

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes it must have booted from it unless it was started from within 7, you should check that too.
    Also delete all the partitions on the drive during the start of the install.

9. GreggIllinois

Fortunately, I have no more Windows 7 computers to upgrade. (This last one installed Windows 10 properly.) Except my buddy in Iowa. (the one with that 0x800x80005 error). But he's on vacation for a week, so I'm not going to be concerned with that for a few days.

I'm calling it a night here. (Bitter cold here in Chicago. Going down to 0 degrees Fahernheit and wind gusts up to 45 mph. Insanely dangerous wind chills. Hope you're warmer! :))

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice