1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 created on disc now won’t boot

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Garethjohnson, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Garethjohnson

Garethjohnson Thread Starter

I got windows 10 to create on my hard drive, but it needed to reset so it did, and now my computer won’t post like it should, it tries to but the monitor stays blank

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Do you mean it will not boot or post? If it will not boot, then boot with the Windows 10 install disc if available and try starting in Safe mode by follows Steps 3 - 6 below.

If you do not have a disc then perform the following steps and let me know if any of the options work and we can try some troubleshooting methods.

Force Safe Mode with Power On/Off

1. Press the Power On/Off button to Start and Shut Down the computer as soon as you see the rotating loading circle
    2.Repeat this 2-3 times to stat the Windows Recovery Environment.
    3. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart from the Choose an Option screen.
    4. After your PC restarts, select one of the following Safe Mode options you are instructed to from the Start Up Settings menu:
    • Safe Mode (4)
    • Safe Mode with Networking (5)
    • Command Prompt (6)
    5. Wait for Safe Mode to load.
    6. Logon with an Administrator account if needed.

3. Garethjohnson

It won’t post, I think there might be something up with my keyboard for it, but I don’t really know

4. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    It will not even power up then or allow you to access bios etc. Can you tell if it is getting power? Does it beep and if so how many times. Do you hear the fan or anything?

5. Garethjohnson

It’ll go through the process and pretend it will post, but then it’ll be stuck on a black screen with an underscore flashing, which is why I think it’s a keyboard problem from here, there’s the one beep for posting, the main problem is it takes forever for it to get to that point, like I’ll turn the computer on, it will turn on but nothing will happen for 10 minutes, then it’ll attempt to post and do what I mentioned above

6. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    What is the make and model of your system. It sounds like the way you are using post then is for boot. Try the following as well as the steps above and let me know if you can access Safe mode or the command prompt.

Have you tried booting with the Keyboard removed then?

Also disconnect any external devices such as printers, USB drives, etc.

7. Garethjohnson

This is a new build I have everything disconnected, the keyboard works fine on my other system

8. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Did you try my method to force safe mode? Are you able to access the bios? I am still confused how you are using post do you mean Post or Boot?

power-on self-test
    , the POST is a test the computer must complete to verify all hardware is working properly before starting the boot process.

Do you have any files you need on the system or are they backed up. If so, then I would start by performing a new clean install of Windows.

9. Garethjohnson

There is no safe mode because it hasn’t even been set up yet, I’m in the process of setting the computer up from scratch

10. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    Okay then that is different from your question. It sounds like you had Windows installed and reset it and the issues happened.

If I understand correctly then you have not installed Windows and are at the point of trying to just get your computer to post correctly. If that is the case then please see the link below for good advice and steps to help troubleshoot your issues.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubleshooting-guide-for-problem-builds.580000/

11. Garethjohnson

Windows went through the process but I never actually got to bios and still haven’t managed to get to bios

12. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    I am still confused on what is going on. Did Windows install or not? Windows does not have anything to do with accessing the bios. You press the correct hotkey as soon as it powers on to access the bios.

I assume this is a custom build so please provide as many details as you can about the system and main components.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice