1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Windows 10 creating irreparable disc errors after updates

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RobinL1000, Jan 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RobinL1000

RobinL1000 Thread Starter

Hello all,

Over the last year I have had repeated problems with Windows 10 finding disc errors that it can't repair. I have tried the well posted solutions like CheckDsk, SFCScan, restoring and repairing. In the end the only solution that works each time to a fresh install of windows.

My laptop is 8 years old so I replaced the hard disk with a new SSD 3 months ago and put on a fresh install of Windows. Everything seemed fine at first, but after the last Windows update last week, I now have the same Disc error message back again. Again the usual repair options are not working.

As it is a new disc and only seems to occur following a windows update, I suspect this is a software thing. On the other hand my laptop is old enough that it could be hardware issue.

Any suggestions on what I could try?

Thanks,

Robin

P.S. Here is the systems data from your utility.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190911142847.000000+000
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
    Total Physical RAM: 6 GB
    Graphics Card: DisplayLink USB Device
    Hard Drives: C: 223 GB (44 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Intel Corp. Base Board Product Name, ver Base Board Version, s/n Base Board Serial Number
    System: INSYDE, ver TOSQCI - 1, s/n 7B184788W
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. zebanovich

zebanovich

Hello, can you please open powershell as administrator, and then execute bellow 2 commands:

Code:
    Get-EventLog -LogName HardwareEvents -EntryType Error -Newest 1000 -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Select * | Out-File C:\hardware.txt

Get-EventLog -LogName System -EntryType Error -Newest 1000 -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | Select * | Out-File C:\system.txt
    this will create 2 files in your C:\ drive root, zip them and post here.

Hopefully we find something useful in these events.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most of the time, there is no win10 support for the 2xxx processors. Have you checked the support page for that laptop?
    Post the exact brand and model# If you have a service tag# Post that as well.

4. RobinL1000

I have just tried to run the Power Shell commands. They don't work and I get this error message (example shown from System Log, similar error message for Hardware log):

Get-EventLog : Cannot bind parameter 'Newest'. Cannot convert value "1000-ErrorAction" to type "System.Int32". Error:
    "Input string was not in a correct format."
    At line:1 char:55
    + ... Log -LogName System -EntryType Error -Newest 1000-ErrorAction Silentl ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: :)) [Get-EventLog], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetEventLogCommand

5. zebanovich

zebanovich

my apologies, that was a typo, I updated those commands in my previous post, can you try again please?

6. RobinL1000

The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L755 -13K. Part nos shows as PSK1WE- 01S009EN. I can only find the USA support page, but nothing related to Hard drives has been posted there.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    crjdriver is correct about there being no Windows 10 support for the Intel Core i5-2410M processor.
    According to Intel , it has support only for Windows 7 and Vista and XP.

From what I can determine, the Toshiba Satellite L755-13K laptop originally came with Windows 7.

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. RobinL1000

Sorry I can't see the edited commands. I have refreshed but the commands look the same and I get the same error.

9. RobinL1000

It is true the laptop came with Windows 7. I updated to Windows 10 when it was released (skipping Windows 8). It was running fine until I started getting these error messages about 15 months ago.

10. zebanovich

zebanovich

That's odd, I've just copied them from my post and tested them again, and work just fine.
    are you sure you run them in administrative powershell?

Anyway, I agree with other folks here, about missing drivers for laptop.

11. RobinL1000

I shut down Power Shell then tried again and it worked this time! Zipped file attached. I have included both log files but the Hardware log is empty.

If my processor is not supported I guess it's time to replace my laptop. Shame it has done me good service and works well apart from this annoying message.

Attached Files:

12. zebanovich

zebanovich

OK, from the event log:

This could be either a non compatible driver or hardware issue.

Things you can try:
    1. use controler driver provided by Microsoft.
    2. change AHCI mode to IDE in bios. (or IDE to AHCI)
    3. use toshiba driver updater
    4. Try to reproduce the problem on other OS's, (non-windows 10) to rule out hardware problem.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You pretty much have your answer; there is no support for win10. When you use an unsupported operating system, you are in effect a beta tester; might work and it might not work.
    This is somewhat common. When an update or feature update is done, it very often removes obsolete drivers, etc.

You can try and get this to work by looking for chipset drivers. Up to you OR you can install an operating system that is actually supported ie win7 or a linux distro.

14. RobinL1000

OK Thanks. I'm pretty sure my drivers are up to date, but I'll double check and then try the others.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I highly doubt your drivers are "Up to date" since there are none for win10. You are using the windows native driver and that was most likely changed when an update or feature update was done.
    Laptops are very proprietary; if this were a standard asus motherboard, you would have a much better chance of finding drivers or getting it to work.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice