1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 Creators Update, am worried about installing it

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by polli, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. polli

polli Thread Starter

I bought my computer last year with Windows 10 installed on it.
    When the Anniversary Update came up it auto installed it.
    However I then had a black screen and some programs wouldn't work.
    I had a friend who works with computers come to sort it out.
    However, my friend is not well at the minute. so am very nervous about installing the Creators Update, in case there should be problems again, as don't know what I'm doing.
    I keep getting pop ups to remind me
    Can you advise me please?

2. Sponsor

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

For now ignore the Popups...... just be patient and wait.

Creators Update contains a lot of changes. With so many changes it is always possible that something may not mesh with a particular setup on an individual system, which might result in a compromised or even unbootable system.

It would therefore be wise to take a System Image, create an Repair Disk and Backup user files. You don't need special software to do any of this, all of which can be done from within the W10 utility File History which you will find in Control Panel.

T.

4. polli

polli Thread Starter

Thank you
    Will it auto update in the end though?

But don't understand how to do any of this.

5. polli

polli Thread Starter

Still getting the security update message. Not got a clue what to do, or to agree to
    Can anyone help by suggesting what settings I need? please

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

Just ignore the message for the moment. Creators Update modifies many things in Windows. You want to make sure that most of the big issues are resolved before you apply the update.

This is especially the case if you are not a technical person. If I apply the update and then have a problem I will almost certainly know how to fix it, but that will probably not be the case if you apply the update and have a big problem.

Be patient.

T.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above advise to make a backup image is very good. You should always have a current backup image of your system drive. If something goes wrong, it takes all of 5~10min to restore the image and you are back to where you were prior to the problem.

FWIW I have installed the 1703 update on 3 systems here [one intel and two amd] no problems at all however that is no guarantee that you will have the same experience.

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

Polli, my apologies, I missed something in a previous Post. In Post #3 you wrote "....But don't understand how to do any of this..."

I assume that you meant that you don't understand how to create a System Image; create a Repair Disk; create a USB Recovery Drive or Backup user files. Below is a brief overview of what you need to do. If you have any questions then please ask.

Before you start you need media on which to store all of the above. The way that I do this is as follows: -

1. Backup User Files. A 64GB SD card is normally enough for most users. These retail for under US$20 on Amazon.

2. System Image. I use a small WD Passport Essential USB 160GB Hard Disk Drive. These retail for around US$35 on Amazon.

3. Repair Disk. I create a Repair Disk on a DVD.

4. Recovery Drive. You will need an inexpensive 1GB USB Flash Drive. These cost only a few dollars.

The complete cost of the above should be less than US$60. That is considerably less than the cost of a repair service.

For some of the above tasks you will need Administrator Privileges.

1. Backup User Files; 2. System Image and 3. Create a Repair Disk are all done from within Control Panel > File History.

4. Create a Recovery Drive is done from within Control Panel > Recovery

I suggest that you don't actually do anything just yet. Firstly, make sure that you have the storage media. Then go to both File History and Recovery in Control Panel and see if you understand what you need to do. Once you feel that you are ready to proceed then post back to the Forum and I or some other member will guide you through the process.

T.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190150