Windows 10 Defender

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jp42nca

Just completed a pc build and I have Windows 10 (Home 64-bit) everything ran great, still does except for one thing. Windows Defender seems to be constantly running. Go to task manager and its running at 6-7%. I have Corsair iCUE software and my total core package is running at 35-36 degrees celsius. It use to run at 28-29. Fans run for quite awhile before shutting off, I have Norton Anti virus software and it has been working great. Ever since I did the new Windows 10 update now my fans are running at high levels and Windows Defender is running most of the time. Can I shut it off? Any ideas what's happening here? Thanks, hope I get some clarity on this issue.

Windows 10 Defender.jpg

3rd party antivirus software often have compatibility problems with Windows 10. That is because MS upgrades Windows 10 twice a year, and AV companies have a hard time catching up. The compatibility problems can result in very different and strange behaviour. Uninstall Norton and see.

My concern is; that the OP states that they have both running. Which I thought was impossible with windows 10. By default Defender is enabled. If you install a 3rd party AV, windows 10 default turns off Defender and the 3rd party AV is installed and enabled.

Clearly in OP post is shows Defender is running. So how can this be.

I would uninstall your Norton AV and reboot. Then re-install your Norton AV and see what happens.

jp42nca

3rd party antivirus software often have compatibility problems with Windows 10. That is because MS upgrades Windows 10 twice a year, and AV companies have a hard time catching up. The compatibility problems can result in very different and strange behaviour. Uninstall Norton and see.
That's good to know, thank you.

jp42nca

My concern is; that the OP states that they have both running. Which I thought was impossible with windows 10. By default Defender is enabled. If you install a 3rd party AV, windows 10 default turns off Defender and the 3rd party AV is installed and enabled.

Clearly in OP post is shows Defender is running. So how can this be.
I think I know why. Windows Defender isn't really running, says it does but Norton takes over in its place by turning it off on your pc. Found this under Windows Security>Virus & Threat Protection. What led me here was when I first went to Task Scheduler under Microsoft>Windows Defender no scheduled maintenance popped up in the window panel, something should have been there if it was running and I could turn if off or schedule a new time, it was just black. So then I looked under Windows Security>Virus & Threat Protection and see that's it's already turned off. It may say Defender is running but it's really the 3rd party app (Norton) how else would you know what usage your cpu is using when your AV is running a 3rd party AV. Windows Defender_4.jpg 1.jpg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online