1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10-Dell

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Brittstix, Aug 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brittstix

Brittstix Thread Starter

My computer did a Dell bios update. During this update, the computer was shut down. Now the computer will not turn on, monitor is black. I tried unplugging and replugging cables in the outlet. I tried the Ctrl + escape buttons but that did not work. Please advise?! Thank you!!!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and exact model number of your Dell?
    What's the exact 7-character "service tag/serial" number on it?
    You mention a monitor, so I'm assuming it's a desktop/tower and not a laptop/notebook.

Your Dell will not automatically do a BIOS update, so you must have obtained it somewhere and then tried to install it.
    If the BIOS update failed or you tried to install an incorrect one, you may now have a non-working computer.
    A BIOS update should not be installed unless it addresses and corrects some important issue with a computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  3. Lanctus

Lanctus

Any Dell BIOS update is an update of the firmware. While this is being run, there are red text that warn you not to turn off the computer. BIOS updates can take care of a lot of things (including adding patches or closing loopholes that can be exploited), but as flavalee said, you may now have a non-working computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice