Windows 10 does not recognize USB flash drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ngk0585

Windows 10 does not recognize USB flash drive. Not universally. It is only a couple of flash drives. I think the flash drive quit or ??? The system recognizes that the drive is attached and responds but does not open for use. I think I reformatted one of the flash drives to FAT. Most of my flash drives are OK, along with external drives, printers, etc. I've also tried plugging into different USB ports. This is an irritation issue but not disastrous. I've thought it may be better to trash the USB sticks. for $10 may not be worth the effort unless someone has a quick and dirty way to get the PC to open it up.
Thank you

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 6135 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 720, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 1862 GB (1423 GB Free); J: 0 GB (0 GB Free); K: 919 GB (201 GB Free); L: 11 GB (1 GB Free); M: 931 GB (615 GB Free); O: 465 GB (217 GB Free); P: 2794 GB (2060 GB Free);
Motherboard: FOXCONN, ALOE
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
I use Norton Antivirus. Also Malware bytes.

dmccoy

Darrin
Run the following command from command prompt

diskpart
List disk
select disk 1 (very Important to ensure you select the correct # of your USB drive)
clean
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs
assign
exit

ngk0585

OK Thanks. However, I cannot tell which number is assigned to the USB port. Explorer thinks it is drive f:\
I tried a chkdsk and it says "cannot open volume for direct access". I've gone so far beyond DOS in time that I do not recall what command may work to give me that info.

dmccoy

Darrin
Run the list disk command then take a picture of your screen and upload

or you can do the following

Right click on the top bar command window
Left click on Edit then Select Alloesnt
Right click on the top bar again
Left click on edit then copy
paste into your reply

dmccoy

Darrin
How did you determine it is drive f? Is that the drive that comes up when you connect the USB? Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be reading anything on the disk using diskpart or filemanger. If you are certain it is reading the drive as F: then you can open disk management and see the correct drive #associated with it. Since it isn’t showing any file sizes I don’t see much success in fixing it though.

ngk0585

I use these flash drives for many things, including copying MP3's for the truck. It is drive F that the USB uses here. drive does not work in other USB ports.

OK, I appreciate your assistance. I think I agree with you that there will be no success with this. I went back and tried the instructions for the cmd and it reported that there is no media. I think the little $9 doodle is ready for Davey Jones Locker. There it goes... I will copy your instructions and keep them handy.
One more thing? I couldn't not figure out the Alloesnt process you described. What are you talking about here? What top bar on what? Thanks

dmccoy

Darrin
Yeah probably time for a new one.

I couldn't not figure out the Alloesnt process you described. What are you talking about here? What top bar on what? Thanks
I don’t understand this question?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online