1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 doesn't accept Microsoft Account password change

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by amir1972, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amir1972

amir1972 Thread Starter

Issue
    My brother has a PC with Windows 10 and two Administrator Users:
    #1 User: MS Account (the main one, used by my brother)
    #2 User: Local Account (Secondary one, used by myself)

Since the login page is usually bypassed in this PC via netwizpl setup, none of us usually need to insert a password at startup, but after a Windows Update the login page reappeared, and my brother can't access his MS account any more because his password is not recognized.

Useful info
    1. It's no keyboard issue: the keyboard layout is consistent with settings and we also checked the correct password spelling with the "eye" icon
    2. Resetted MS password, but no joy: we have tried to reset the MS account password. The new password grants access to the MS account at https://login.live.com, but it's still useless when trying to login to Windows with the MS account.
    3. All OK with the Local Account: the Local Account still grants login, and since it's an Administrator account it still allows access to the other account data.
    4. Haven't done a Restore (yet): An obvious (but not necessarily effective) solution could be a Windows Restore. I'll probably try to Restore a previous System State if I don't find a better solution, but I'd prefer to understand the cause of this issue.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you gone into the MS account from the local account and changed to the new password?

I assume that your local account is of the Admin group, which should give you access to the MS account settings.

3. opaul57

opaul57

what is a ms account

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice