Solved Windows 10 Dual Boot with Elementary OS Crashing Repeatedly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

raginbacon57

Hello again:

A while ago, I posted a thread about a similar problem. Here is a link to it if it will help at all. Now, let me explain my current situation.

Lately I have been getting many blue screens, usually at random times, and I've come to a point where I'm stuck and decided to bring my problem to you guys.

I recently installed new RAM (I know this is already a flag but just keep reading). The first time I installed the new RAM, I was almost positive it was just faulty, so I sent it back for a replacement. By now, I've replaced it a few times and ran multiple tests with memtest86+ for many hours and have gotten no errors for each stick. At this point, it almost seems like that this isn't the fault of the RAM, however, but the fault of something else. Many of these crash dumps have included files such as:

atikmdag.sys
netio.sys
avgntflt.sys
ntrkrnlmp.exe

If you guys need more info than this, I'd be happy to give it to you.

The dump files are attached to this post.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM INFO:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit / Elementary OS Freya 0.3.2
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16325 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series, -1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 113670 MB, Free - 71840 MB; E: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1361845 MB;
Motherboard: MSI, Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi
Back from holidays
Do you still need help please
I have analysed four of the dumps and they certainly tends to suggest, when taken together a ram problem
Just because ram will pass a memtest, does not mean it is compatible with your system
The ram you have, as I am sure you know of course is
Crucial
BLS4G3D1609DS1S00
http://www.crucial.com/ProductDispl...ent_category_rn=&storeId=10151#productDetails

What please is the chip configuration on that ram stick?

Also what is the full identification number on the label on the stick#

How many chips are on each side of the ram stick - it will be the same on each side
is it four or eight.
The tested ram according to your motherboard for that Crucial you have is
Crucial BLS4G3D1609DS1S00.16FMD
which as you can see is the same as you have by model of ram number but in the configuration of 16 chips - 8 each side of the stick

Have you tried with only the two sticks of that ram, that you had when we last worked together - one in each channel. It MAY be that the system will just not accept the four sticks

Last edited:

raginbacon57

Hi
Back from holidays
Do you still need help please
I have analysed four of the dumps and they certainly tends to suggest, when taken together a ram problem
Just because ram will pass a memtest, does not mean it is compatible with your system
The ram you have, as I am sure you know of course is
Crucial
BLS4G3D1609DS1S00
http://www.crucial.com/ProductDispl...ent_category_rn=&storeId=10151#productDetails

What please is the chip configuration on that ram stick?

Also what is the full identification number on the label on the stick#

How many chips are on each side of the ram stick - it will be the same on each side
is it four or eight.
The tested ram according to your motherboard for that Crucial you have is
Crucial BLS4G3D1609DS1S00.16FMD
which as you can see is the same as you have by model of ram number but in the configuration of 16 chips - 8 each side of the stick

Have you tried with only the two sticks of that ram, that you had when we last worked together - one in each channel. It MAY be that the system will just not accept the four sticks
Actually, I think I may have solved my own problem just a couple days ago...

I wiped Elementary OS, and also did a clean install of windows. It didn't take too long since I have multiple drives (OS and drivers are on the SSD, and everything on HDDs) So far, I haven't had a crash since then. I'm guessing some of the system files were just corrupt.. I'll keep you posted on this, since these are only recent changes and it could still crash again. If it does crash again, I'll try what you suggested in your reply.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts