1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 external hardware issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jB1997, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jB1997

jB1997 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8054 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (99 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 090HMC

i have an issue where both my external hard drive and headphones will only work if i plug them in and then restart my pc. external HD shows up in device manager but with a problem triangle, when i click it it says
    "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)
    The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory."
    i have tried removing the drivers and restarting computer but issue persists
    anyone know how to fix this?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Is your external hard drive a USB device ?

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager. Find you external USB device. Right click choose Properties. Go driver tab and click Details button. Copy down the list of files shown. And manually find them using File Explorer and delete them. (I take it you have tried the Unintstall Device button already, so I am showing you the manual way)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice