1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 Free to Win 7 and Above Users...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by HarrierUSA, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HarrierUSA

HarrierUSA Thread Starter

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    If you don't want to sit through the meting, here is an excellent summary of the major points presented.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7865539/microsoft-windows-10-event-what-you-need-to-know

.Emphasis was on Cortana and the Holograph device. Both items I would not have too much interest in - The latter due to the size of my wallet.
    I am interested to see how "Spartan performs against Chrome, as they are both stripped down browsers.

The Xbox feature (Xbox on your desktop", I wasn't too clear about. Probably my ancient brain could not grasp the concept. I use a couple of time wasters xbox games now on my Windows 8.1 desktop. But it did seem to be quite a lot more than that - very much like Skype.
    Anyway, a couple of these items we will not see for a few months yet, so I am still anxious to see how the January build shapes up.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Hmm. Still not understanding the free part.

4. bs953

bs953

I can reply to that by free that's what Microsnot means. User means somebody who has a legal lisc copy of w7/w8/w8.1 and has registered same in his or her name. So if your running a 'cracked' version your not in. Pay attention though the rumor mill has it that Microsnot will offer this 'special' deal for a limited time and frankly it would not surprise me that the 'pre-hype' is about all there going to do with a very quiet "come and get yours now" deal.

5. bs953

bs953

My inside buzz word is 4th 1/4.

Mac

6. golddust

golddust

I think most folks are having a hard time understanding what they mean by 'free' because it is a move so unlike Microsoft lol! Yes, it will be a free upgrade, but the offer is only good for one year from when Windows 10 is released. After that time, if you've put off getting it, you will be out of luck and will have to pay for it. I didn't watch the entire video of the conference, but the part about the free upgrade was in the first 20 minutes or so and i did see that part.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not really, there was also a free upgrade from Windows XP to Vista and from Vista to 7 as long as you purchased the computer within a certain time frame. This free upgrade expands on those.

8. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  9. trungnghia1556

trungnghia1556

Still not understanding the free part.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

What don't you understand? It's pretty clear and simple and explained many times.

11. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Windows 10 should be released sometime in the Summer of 2015. Once released we will be notified where to download the iso file. (example: If Windows 10 is released in May 15, 2015, you will be able to get the download free until May 15, 2016 or until notified by Microsoft).

12. golddust

golddust

I remember those 'free' upgrades. They were apparently to keep computer sales from slowing down or coming to a halt just before the next version came out. The free period was for those computers purchased within something like three months (maybe less) before the next edition of windows was released. This time around folks are going to have an entire year after the release and a huge number of computers are going to qualify. Latest I've read is that the upgrade is going to be delivered via Windows Update.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

Vista to 7 was a 6 month period, not sure about any other product time periods. But the point was that one person had said it was unlike Microsoft to give a free upgrade, which it isn't. This one however is more open than any previous program though.

14. 060456F

060456F

15. renegade600

renegade600

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice