1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved windows 10 GB usage

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mardigrasvet, May 14, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. mardigrasvet

mardigrasvet Thread Starter

just got a lenovo ideapad with win 10 installed. want to install ubuntu 18.4 too and shrunk partition for wind 10 but it still uses 90GB. about 29GB is now unallocated in another partition. is there a way to reduce the amount of GB taken up by win 10? seems it needs only 20 GB so wonder why it takes up 90 GB. thanks.

2. storage_man

storage_man

Bloatware ? I have a Tablet W10 Home and it only takes 15gb, I have a desktop with W10 Pro and it takes 52gb. The difference is the amount of software installed. Most manufactures also include a Recovery partition where you can return the system back to the way it was when you bought it. You really don't need it unless you plan to ever do that. Before you start deleting partitions, why don't you post a picture of your what your Disk management display looks like.

3. mardigrasvet

thanks for your speedy reply. i need only basic things so all the bloatware is not needed. that is the reason i want to have the option of using ubuntu. attached is a screen shot of what C drive looks like now.

Attached Files:

4. Lanctus

Lanctus

Microsoft adds a lot of bloatware to Windows 10, and it seems like more and more are pre-installed with every big update. Have you gone through your Start menu to delete the bloatware that MS will allow to be removed?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. mardigrasvet

i uninstalled things that i knew could be uninstalled but i see a lot of microsoft things that i have no idea what they do and hesitate to unistall them because i do not know what that will do to win 10. if i can uninstall something, is that a clue that it is bloatware? i have clicked on a couple of things and i was not offered the chance to uninstall them so does that mean they are important to the guts of win 10? i see the treesize suggestion but i would be in the same predicament in not knowing if something i uninstall should not be. thanks for all your help.

7. mardigrasvet

attached is a screenshot of the results of running treesize. it seems it shows 50 GB being used but the partition shows 90 GB being used. at least that is what i see after i shrunk the partition. thanks for any suggestions.

Attached Files:

8. Lanctus

Lanctus

While I've used this prior in Win 7, this should also work in Win 10. The most common reason for what you are seeing is that the System Restore component is set to use a large amount of disk space. It's a good idea to clean up the System Restore Points as part of a normal maintenance routine.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. Right click the Disk Cleanup item and select the Run As Administrator option.
    In the drop down menu, select the drive you want to clean up and click OK. The drive will be scanned.
    In the next window, select the More Options Tab. In the System Restore and Shadow Copies section, click the Clean up button and click OK.
    In the next window, select the Delete Button.
    Click OK.

This will remove all of the temporary files and all but the latest System Restore Point. Afterwards, take a look again.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the size of the partition now? Please show a screen shot showing the size of the partition and the 90 GB used.

10. mardigrasvet

thanks for the ideas. i followed both instructions and the results are in the attached screenshots. it appears that 49.4 gb is used by win 10 and about 50 gb is free within that partition. how do i get that 50 gb out of there. of course, maybe using almost 50 gb for win 10 is a bit much too.

Attached Files:

11. jmatt

jmatt

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I wouldn't advise shrinking the Windows partition to much less than its current 89 GB. And I would forget about shrinking it any more if you have already used a good partitioning tool.

I've had zero experience with partitioning an SSD and almost none with Windows 10. Based on experience with hard drives and previous versions of Windows if you have only used Microsoft's Disk Management or an equally lame tool I suggest to try something else. I mostly use the free EASEUS Partition Master.

13. mardigrasvet

thanks for all the tips. installed ubuntu and all working fine.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice