1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10. Had WiFi but now cannot connect to internet

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Katherann, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Katherann

Katherann Thread Starter

Downloaded windows 10 about 7 weeks ago. Had no problems what so ever. Everything went smoothly. Then I was online when windows defender popped up about finding malware. When trying to fix this problem.. screen went blue and updates started. From that point on computer says I am connect to internet but the Linksey router said internet connection is lost. But computer in bedroom, cellphone,tablet and a few other devices still work using the wifi. Please help not sure what to do.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

So your computer is still running, thats good. First lets make sure that it was really Windows Defender that says malware detected. Open Windows Defender, go to the History tab, select Quaranteen and click details. It should list the malware that was detected.
    Is the computer wired or wireless?
    Then, you said Linksys router says connection is lost, do you mean connection between the computer and router? Some routers can show a list of the connected PCs, is that what you are referring to?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. Katherann

Katherann Thread Starter

Computer is wireless. There was a trojan but after it was quorentine it was removed. History is blank now. Can not use this computer on wifi. The computer says at bottom right corner it is connected but when I try router tells me connect is lost though everything that is on wifi works. So I figured the problem was with that computer only. When I try to go on a website it just says website is not available.Details to that say website might be down but checking on other computer site is up and running.

4. Katherann

Katherann Thread Starter

I do know it was windows defender that found the malware. I was online when the alert came at the bottom right hand corner of screen.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Which browser were you using? and what version number? Just so I can avoid getting attacked too.

Did you install an application for the Linksys router?

Do a "sfc /scannow" to see if it find any problems.

6. Katherann

Katherann Thread Starter

Had Linksey try to find problems and fix connect. Troubleshot thru window and did the disconnect cables, wait 2 minutes, reconnect and try again. But nothing. I have looked at devices and see no yellow warning signs anywhere that I check. Though this morning when I turned on computer to check it out..I now have a watermark on bottom right corner saying Windows is not activated. I have been using Windows 10 for weeks. I have been using the browser that came with Windows 10. When checking with Linksey it said everything was enabled and ready to go, except for this one computer.
    If Windows is not activated how do I go about reactivating it when it was a free upgrade and I have no key code. And with out internet access??

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Is this a laptop or desktop? If desktop, you can go buy a cheap network card and long ethernet cable. Max cable length is 100 meters. So it should reach places unless you have a really huge home. You don't need a product key to activate. MS recognizes it is an upgrade and will activate fine.

8. SierraMan

SierraMan

can you post details of you machine
    see if you can revert to older drivers on you wireless
    or check all dns setting on network card and in host files ect
    try to ping something like 8.8.8.8 which is google dns server if you can ping it then its probably dns issue

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1157146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice