Windows 10 has narrow "preview" pane

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The Keeper

Gary
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20201106152338.000000-360
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 11, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (833 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 84C1, ver 15.27, s/n PHZYC018JC32HR
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 2, s/n 5CD91576VV
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

When I try to "preview" a file in a documents folder on Windows 10, the preview window is just a narrow column on the right hand side of the screen. If I am previewing a Word Document, the text is only 3-4 words long and wraps around to the next line. In an Excel document, the preview will only show one column and I have to scroll to the right column by column. I have posted a Word Document and an Excel document at the bottom this post. The Excel documents is 5 (narrow) columns wide but as you can see, only a couple of columns are showing.

In Windows 7, the entire document would show in the preview window. A Google search of the problem gave the instructions as shown below. I don't want to risk trying to find a new display driver after deleting the current driver. Is this the only solution?

Step 1:

Uninstall the Device from Device Manager

• Open Device Manager
  • Expand the Display Adapter section.
  • Find the Display card Driver.
  • Right click Display card Driver and select Uninstall.
  • Select the check box delete the driver software for this device.
  • Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.
Step 2:

Uninstall the Device Drivers from Program List in Control Pane

• Click on start, select Control Panel
  • Now click on Programs and select Programs and Features.
  • Find the Display card Driver.
  • Right click Display card Driver and select Uninstall.
Reboot the computer after the uninstall process has finished.
1606161343780.png 1606161497896.png

The Keeper

Gary
I discovered a solution but experimenting with the preview pane window. If I move my cursor to the top left corner of the preview window and hover until I see the double pointing arrow, I can pull the preview window to the left expanding the view. It's a bit tricky to get the double pointing arrow.

Depending on the width of the document you are previewing you may still have to scroll a little.

Glad I didn't follow the instructions to uninstall/reinstall the display adapter instructions that I found on another bulletin board using Google.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online