Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 10 Hates Linux

638 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Blakes7 
#1 ·
Hi! I installed linux mint in dual boot with windows 10. I booted into linux, checked it out---all good. I booted into windows, and the clock was 4 hours off and the display was 1024 x 768---greyed out. I right clicked the desktop and a message appeared saying no amd driver was installed. My computer is an AMD a10-5800k with built-in graphics radeon hd 7660d. The motherboard is an asus f2a55-m lk. I tried driver booster and it installed a driver---or so it seemed. Same message about no driver installed. I tried to update the driver through device manager---no go. I uninstalled the driver through device manger, and installed the amd catalyst control center. Same. What the hell happened? More important, how do I fix this? The only restore point I have is from driver booster's install. Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#5 ·
There is an option to Reset Windows using Windows DVD. I hope you are aware that it will make your Windows as if it is just installed ( removes all existing software as well ). If you are interested, give it a try.

As always, take proper backups before trying.

#6 ·
Thanks for the response. 2 days before this,there was a power outage for 3 seconds during a storm. It restarted with no problems, but now I'm wondering if my surge protector didn't work properly, and a surge got through. No problems appeared until I set up the dual boot. I think this because I've noticed the light blinking now and then on the protector. If that's the problem, I guess I need a new computer. It's working, but now somethings wrong. Any ideas on this? I've tried every way I can think of to install the display driver. Thanks.

#7 ·
My 2 cents:

Personally, I don't like the typical dual boot scenario.
Too many things to go wrong and if not an expert with Windows, well, often a reinstall the cure.

IMO, a better scenario is to run Linux virtually.

A plus is that if your hardware is sufficient, a virtual Linux can be accessed at the same time Windows is open, running both at the same time.
I did this years ago on lesser hardware, but today I prefer to boot Puppy Linux from a USB flash drive (with Win 10 installed on my SSD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.