Windows 10 help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

clarice.newberry

Hello,

I am trying to move windows 10 from my HD to my SSD, so I put windows 10 on a USB stick and tried installing and but everytime it installs it, it goes straight back to the purple windows install screen. Can anyone help?

managed

Allan
It's a good idea to take the power lead out of the original hard drive, that way all the windows files will go onto the SSD. So I would start the install again after doing that and Delete all the partitions when you get to that screenshot, then it should let you install onto the resulting 'Unallocated space'.

When the computer reboots remove the Usb stick, at the moment it is booting from the Usb stick after the restart and it begins the install again from the beginning.

clarice.newberry

It's a good idea to take the power lead out of the original hard drive, that way all the windows files will go onto the SSD. So I would start the install again after doing that and Delete all the partitions when you get to that screenshot, then it should let you install onto the resulting 'Unallocated space'.

When the computer reboots remove the Usb stick, at the moment it is booting from the Usb stick after the restart and it begins the install again from the beginning.
Thank you for your reply, I think Windows 10 is already on the USB, so do I delete all the partitions first or unplug the hard drive as its saying I can't install it on any of the partitions at the min, sorry not very good with computers

Last edited:

managed

Allan
Do the following :-

1) Disconnect the power cable (the wider one) from the hard drive.
2) Leave the Usb alone and start the install again.
3) When it gets to the stage on your screenshot Delete all the partitions by highlighting each one with the up and down arrow keys then click on Delete
4) When the whole SSD is shown as Unallocated space you should be able to continue the install.
5) When the computer restarts automatically quickly remove the Usb stick (otherwise it will start the install from the beginning again).
6) It should complete the install now.

clarice.newberry

Do the following :-

1) Disconnect the power cable (the wider one) from the hard drive.
2) Leave the Usb alone and start the install again.
3) When it gets to the stage on your screenshot Delete all the partitions by highlighting each one with the up and down arrow keys then click on Delete
4) When the whole SSD is shown as Unallocated space you should be able to continue the install.
5) When the computer restarts automatically quickly remove the Usb stick (otherwise it will start the install from the beginning again).
6) It should complete the install now.
I deleted them all and this popped up do I need to go into the bios

Attachments

managed

Allan
Yes go into the Bios and check that the SSD is up showing in there.

Is the SSD the only drive connected ?

managed

Allan
In the Bios check that all the 'drive controllers' are enabled and set to AHCI/SATA, you will have to look around in the Bios to find that setting.

If you can't find it you should be able to find the exact motherboard you have in the Bios somewhere, quote that in your reply and I'll try to help.

clarice.newberry

Hey, I found the allocated space and changed the drivers to enabled. When I go to install Windows again on the allocated space it says 'we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one' any ideas x

managed

Allan
What exactly did you do in the Bios ? Is the whole drive shown as 'Unallocated' ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online