Windows 10 Home Edition downloaded a 'new ver' of Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LoveGoldens

Larry
I'm uneasy about Restarting my system so that it can install "a New version of Windows." That's the only information it had. I was never asked nor notified about a new version of Windows before it began downloading (4 hours!) of data. Slowed my system to a crawl.
I'm using Windows 10 Home Edition. I do not have my system configured to "Auto-update" yet somehow Microsoft ignored that without warning me.

Does anyone know if Microsoft actually has a newer version of Windows 10 Home Edition? Will it be safe for me to let it proceed to installing itself?
I have only 1 computer so, if I get locked out of it, I'll be in a real jam.

--I set the time for the download to happen at 10:30PM Pacific Time (today, August 10, 2020). I have until that time to receive help from someone here on TSG.

Attachments

texasbullet

Ramon
You need to restart your computer so it can update to the newer version of W10. If you don't like it you can roll back the previous version you had (video here and here). You have 10 days to downgrade.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I suspect it is version 2004
that means 04 month
20 year
although it was actually released in May

You cannot in general settings configure updates on 10, they are automatic

I am a little confused you say you did not know about the update but you then say
I set the time for the download to happen at 10:30PM Pacific Time (today, August 10, 2020)
If you were unsure you should have set it later and posted for advice.

Whilst I was typing this my colleague has posted regarding returning to the previous version.
I do not have time to look at the links he has posted but you should ensure before doing so that you have a backup of all vital personal data, which of course you should have in any case.

The return to earlier vesion does not usually go wrong, but if it does, without a backup, prteferably a full image on an external drive, you could have problems

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Regarding going back I recomend to you this tutorial
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4097-go-back-previous-version-windows-windows-10-a.html

from another site on which I also work

The other matter to mention is that if you have any third party maintenance programs installed, I suggest you disable them, as some of them may well delete the windows old folder, in their automated system cleanup procedures and if that does happen you will not be able to go back by the method in the tutorial I have linked to

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
LoveGoldens
I have added to my last post 4.
If you are on the topic please ensure you revisit to see the addition

LoveGoldens

Larry
You need to restart your computer so it can update to the newer version of W10. If you don't like it you can roll back the previous version you had (video here and here). You have 10 days to downgrade.
Thanks for replying!

I know that I have to restart my computer to begin the installation. I said that already.
My concern is that since the so-called "New Version" is unknown. I thought that MS said in the past that there will be NO more updates to Windows 10 Home Edition. This so-called New Version doesn't even have any information about it such as, version number, is it a Patch, etc.

If it hangs my system (black screen, etc.), I won't be able to "Restore system to an earlier time." I created a new Restore Point immediately after it finished downloading but, I want to know if someone here has my version and installed this "new" version, recently.

LoveGoldens

Larry
I suspect it is version 2004
that means 04 month
20 year
although it was actually released in May

You cannot in general settings configure updates on 10, they are automatic

I am a little confused you say you did not know about the update but you then say

Whilst I was typing this my colleague has posted regarding returning to the previous version.
I do not have time to look at the links he has posted but you should ensure before doing so that you have a backup of all vital personal data, which of course you should have in any case.

The return to earlier vesion does not usually go wrong, but if it does, without a backup, prteferably a full image on an external drive, you could have problems
You wrote:
Macboatmaster, I was unsure! That's why I'm here, asking for advice before I let it install.

Thanks for the clarification about "not being able to configure updates on 10."

texasbullet

Ramon
Have you tried changing the date on the restart time. I think it gives you up to 30 days to update.

LoveGoldens

Larry
Have you tried changing the date on the restart time. I think it gives you up to 30 days to update.
No, but I did change the time of day (evening). [See my attached image in my original post.]

I don't want to wait for up to 30 days before I restart or shutdown my computer. I suppose I'm going to have to accept the risk and restart my computer now. If it works fine, then I'll be back here. If it fails and I can't get Windows to run (allowing me to select a previous Restore Point), then I'll be without a computer.

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

LoveGoldens

Larry
Macboatmaster:

It finished installing and I can still use my computer. You were right; it upgraded to version 2004. It did change some of my previous settings. I can fix those as I find them over time. At least, the system is still usable. I'm very grateful for that!

LoveGoldens

Larry
Silly Microsoft wiped out ALL of my saved Restore Points!! It's totally blank. I'm lucky that the install they just did actually worked. I wonder what else they screwed up. (n)

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
They did not SCREW UP
The reason the 204 update deletes the restore points is that those restore points applied to the previous version 1909
They would be of no use when you have the 2004 version.
If it did not work as I already explained you either use go back to earlier version or you use the complete image I mentioned.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Kindly mark your topic solved please click mark solved button on your opening post

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online