1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 Home gpedit.msc issue

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jonbutter, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonbutter

jonbutter Thread Starter

Lenovo Ideapad 110-151SK Model Name 8OUD running Windows 10 Home edition (version 1803), BIOS (V2.07) and drivers are current.

The laptop has an Admin account plus two User accounts. I use the admin account to configure the users accounts.

Gpedit.msc has been installed/enabled. Via gpedit.msc, the laptop is configured to disable User access to Internet Options on the Control Panel. However, with these setting s enabled, Users can still access to Internet Options. I cannot figure out why. I’ve used these configuration settings successfully on multiple Windows 10 Pro machines, but this is the first Windows 10 Home machine. There in lies the issue?

Logged into the Admin account, via gpedit.msc, I’ve navigated the following path:

User Configuration > admin template > windows component > internet explorer > browser > Tools menu: Disable Internet Options. I have enabled this option.

Then… User Configuration > admin template > windows component > internet explorer > internet control panel > Disable the Advanced page(Enabled), Disable the Connections page (Enabled), Disable the Content page (Enabled), Disable the General page (Enabled), Disable the Privacy page (Enabled), Disable the Programs page (Enabled), and Disable the Security page (Enabled).

I know this can also be achieved similar results via regedit, but am hesitant to do so without more input.

Thanks.
    J.B. ,IT Tech.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. jonbutter

jonbutter Thread Starter

Yes, I'm aware Group Policy is not available on Windows 10 Home by default, but have this enabled it accordingly. gpedit.msc seems to run correctly, but changes to User Configuration files have no effect.

I also have a call into Microsoft Windows 10 Support.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not sure they will help with an unsupported configuration. Did you refer to the link I posted, it seems some of the older methods of getting it to work no longer work correctly.

Alternatively, an in-place upgrade to Pro is pretty cheap and very easy. That would be the better solution especially if this is being used in a business.

5. jonbutter

jonbutter Thread Starter

Yes, I referenced your link... those are the steps I followed. Yea, I think you are right, upgrading to Windows 10 Pro is likely the best path.

Thanks very much for your input.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice