Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 10 installation fails early, won't even start.

Solved 
520 views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Alex Ethridge 
#1 ·
I have two identical Dell Inspiron 3455 systems here. One has a failing hard disk and the other runs fine. I removed the 1TB failing disk in one machine and installed a Crucial 500 gig SSD and inserted a bootable Windows 10 reinstallation USB. When I rebooted the computer and selected the USB as the boot device, it simply sits there with a black screen and does nothing. I left it for over an hour and still nothing.

Next, I tried a Windows 10 DVD made from the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. It gets to "Press any key to boot from DVD", I press a key and it just sits there and goes no further. Both the USB and DVD installers are known good as I have used them both successfully just recently. However, just to be sure, I made new ones of both using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool again. Still, no change.

The behavior is identical for both machines.

I reinstalled the hard disks to both machines and ran a successful installation Windows 10 installation on both, even on the failing disk.

The common denominators here are the two machines which are identical and the single SSD. I don't have another SSD at present to try but it does have a previous OS still installed so I but it back into its source machine and Windows 10 runs fine.

I'm stumped.

See less See more
#3 ·
Update:

I ordered another SSD, a Mushkin RAW 500GB and installed it a few minutes ago. Windows 10 is installing as I write this so it looks like there is some kind of incompatibility between this particular computer model and the Crucial 500 gig SSD. Strangely, the Crucial 500 gig SSD works fine in a different desktop computer and passes Seatools Long Generic Test.

I have marked this thread Solved but there is still a mystery that exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.