1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 Installation (Set Up) Loop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by AndyLuc7, Aug 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AndyLuc7

AndyLuc7 Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I recently just built a new PC.
    Here are the specs:
    GPU - Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card
    CPU - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    MOBO - Z270 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Storage - Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    PSU - CXM 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Memory - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (2)

Basically the whole set up works and I have it up and running with no issues. I made sure all the wires/cables are correctly placed. I am currently trying to install Windows 10 Home. It works until it has to restart/reboot. Once it reboots/restarts, I am left with a Windows Logo (black screen as the background) and the loading circle. As it finishes, it prompts me back to the purple background set up page.

If I remove the flash drive (which you are supposedly supposed to do to prevent the loop) it will prompt me to a black screen asking for the proper boot device (and yes, I made the hard drive the first priority). So, the closest thing I have to having it installed is to keep the USB in after the restart/reboot. If I do this, I make sure to still have the hard drive set to first priority. Any help please?

Thanks,
    Andy

2. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    I'll start by stating the obvious, but no offense intended.....with those nice system specs, running your OS off a 5400 RMP hard drive is going to crawl. When you get this issue fixed grab a small SSD and clone Windows to it and use the hard drive for storage and games.

Now check the BIOS to see what SATA mode you are in? I've experienced before that if Windows 10 might install on one mode, but now boot. How many times have you reinstalled Windows and tried?

3. AndyLuc7

AndyLuc7 Thread Starter

I am running AHCI and I have installed it multiple times. I even tried creating a bootable media using different ISOs.
    So basically get a better hard drive or...?

4. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    That's the correct mode, and trying multiple times with different media rules all all of that. I really don't know what else to try, if you have another computer testing the hard drive (full sector test) can't hurt, rule out that slight possibility.

I would definitely get a SSD for Windows, now unless your current one is bad that's not the cause of the issue you're having...but you have nice specs and a really slow drive. With an SSD it'd feel like a whole new computer.

5. AndyLuc7

AndyLuc7 Thread Starter

I will probably try the SSD and use the HDD as storage for games.

6. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    Not a problem, let me know if you have any more questions.

7. AndyLuc7

AndyLuc7 Thread Starter

So the off chance that buying an SSD will not work (I will probably refund it). Is there any other issues that should be fixed?

8. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    Don't buy an SSD to see if it fixes this problem, if you buy one do it for the speed. A good quality SSD will be roughly 50x faster than that slow 5400RPM drive....and if you're motherboard can support NVMe then that number goes up buy ridiculous amounts.

Test your hard drive in another system, and if it's all good then an SSD won't fix it, but will speed it up. Just for kicks try another SATA port on the motherboard. Also have you checked for a BIOS update online?

9. AndyLuc7

AndyLuc7 Thread Starter

I actually switched out SATA cables already. I can try testing the hard drive in another system. And I did find a BIOS update online and one of the updates involved USB compatibility, not sure if that’s useful. So I was going to download that update in a USB and transfer it to my PC.

10. elitetechsvc

elitetechsvc

First Name:
    Aaron
    Try the BIOS update, if no go on that try different SATA port on the motherboard just to rule that out. After that I'm about out of ideas.

11. AndyLuc7

AndyLuc7 Thread Starter

I will try those two. If not, then I'll just buy an SSD and try it out. I'll just refund it if necessary,

12. AndyLuc7

AndyLuc7 Thread Starter

Alright updating BIOS and changing the SATA port did not work sadly. :(
    Will attempt to use my friend's extra HHD and see if that works.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How did you make the install USB stick ?

14. AndyLuc7

AndyLuc7 Thread Starter

BUMP
    If anyone knows how to solve this, please help.
    What do you mean?

15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How was the Usb flash drive you used created ? Did you buy it ready made or did you have to use software to create it, and if so what software did you use ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice