1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 keeps asking me to format SD card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StuffNThingsX, Sep 17, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. StuffNThingsX

StuffNThingsX Thread Starter

I have tried to access my SD card by plugging my phone into my computer, but it doesn't show up. My SD is recognized on my phone, but I don't have the option if changing anything. When I try to plug it into an SD card readee straight to my computer it keeps asking me to format, and I can't do anything else with it. I have tried a variety of options, most of which don't work because my computer tells me I don't have access to my SD card. I was wondering if there was any option to fix this, or to at least recover my files if I have to format.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi StuffNThingsX, and welcome to TSG.

Check if your phone's manufacturer offers any Windows 10 compatible software or drivers for accessing the phone's contents.

Does the phone show up as any kind of device when you connect it to the computer?

If you wish further assistance, it would help if we knew the brand and exact model number of your phone.

3. StuffNThingsX

My phone is a ZTE Blade ZMax and the model number is Z982. My phone does show up on my computer as a device, and I can access the files that are in there. On the phone itself, I cannot move files between my SD and phone.

I'm not sure about the software or drivers.

4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I'm confused....do you want to move files from SD card to PC or SD to Phone? If the later, Why? Next question is; what are you wanting to do? Move files to save....ie pictures?

5. StuffNThingsX

Sorry for the confusion. I simply want to be able to access my SD card files, and move items from there to my PC.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    This looks like two contradictory statements to me.

EDIT: What is the capacity of the MicroSDXC card you are using?

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Exactly...hence all the confusion.

If the PC does recognize the phone....why can't you move data that way? Once you saved everything you want, then load the SD card into the PC and let it format it and then stick back in the phone.

8. StuffNThingsX

My issue is that I cannot access my SD card without formatting it. I am able to plug in my phone to my PC, but my SD card does show up. I am not able to access my SD card within my phone either. I am not able to save anything from my SD card, or access it in any way. I am looking for a solution that lets me access the files in my SD card.

9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

You need to check your phone settings for accessing your SD card.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You also need to check your phone's specifications to make sure that the exact type and capacity of your SD card is compatible with your phone. In some cases, you may also need to have the phone format the SD card in a certain way for the phone to be able to use it.

EDIT: If you cannot access the SD card from within the phone in any manner or directly with a reader on your computer, how is there any data on the SD card that you need to save?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    bassfisher6522 likes this.
  11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm guessing the SD card uses a file-system that Windows can't read, or it could be faulty of course.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice