Windows 10 keeps crashing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheWaffleBeast

So I have an HP pavilion dv6t-6100 quad edition, an old laptop. I have had windows 10 install before and running completely fine, but I decided to do a factory reset, since I bought an SSD to upgrade it, but after the install it keeps going to black screen a few seconds into using the computer, the computer was on, but the screen was black and there was no sound. After a few retries, I thought it might be a bad SSD and replaced it with my old, but again the same error. Then after a few tries I tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 and weirdly enough it worked perfectly for two weeks, I would like to get back to windows 10, but currently have no idea on how to fix the problem, I even tore it apart and cleaned it for dust and look if everything was fine inside, but still no luck. I could still not get windows 10 to work after that.

It's not a black screen like when the computer is turned off, it's still backlit from light.
I have even tried to install Windows 8.1 and 7, but still the same.

One time I just let it be for 5 hours when it went to black screen. In hope of it coming back, but nothing. every time it goes to blackscreen I have to hold down the power button for it to shut off.

Specs:
  • Intel Core i7 (2nd Gen)
  • Hard drive 750GB / Kingston UV400 240GB 2.5"
  • Ram 1x4GB and 1x2GB DDR3
  • 65w power supply
  • AMD Radeon HD 6490m 1GB DDR5
  • Couldn't find the motherboards name

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor

TheWaffleBeast

So I thought about that, but the problem is that I live in Demark, and I can only find the recovery key, from HP on a US side, not on the danish site, and I can't order the key from there, and I don't feel like paying 27$ for something that might not work. (keep in mind that I have fully formatted my hard drive and used 2 other hard drives, with the 3 different versions of windows (10, 8.1 and 7 all 64-bit))

TheWaffleBeast

I found my old recovery disc and tried to install, as said it worked, and I got windows 7 up and running, but every time I install the graphics card driver and reboot my laptop gets stuck at the windows logo on startup. The only way I have gotten it back up and running was to recover it from before I installed the driver to my graphics card. Because of that I tried to uninstall the driver and reinstall it before I rebooted the laptop (same result). Then by downloading the newest driver from AMD (still nothing). and last download the driver from HP's support website (again no luck).

And now I start wondering if the graphics card is dead or there is something else I could do?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online