Solved Windows 10 laptop losing connection to screen

justg1997

So I have a bit of a weird issue. I am running a windows 10 laptop specs are - Intel i7-4710HQ CPU 2.50ghz - 28gb DDR3 ram and a gtx 980m. This laptop was damaged pretty bad, the screen was so destroyed it was removed, however internally the components are fine, but a few ports were damaged as well. I can't use the HDMI port anymore so I use the mini display port to a 32 inch tv screen and it runs great! Then usually after I shut it down and have a nights sleep the pc will show the windows loading screen and then completely lose connection to the screen. I attempt to update my gtx graphics while I have the pc running but it ultimately leads to a black screen that I have only managed to fix with a system reset. I am wondering if there is any fix for this or if I will have to just get a new hdmi port installed maybe? PLEASE HELP!

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi and welcome to TSG.

To see what hardware is in that laptop please run this on it and paste the blue text it creates into your reply :-
https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe

Also if possible please post the make and full model number of the laptop, often on a label underneath.

justg1997

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200522140023.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 28 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M
Hard Drives: C: 118 GB (26 GB Free); D: 931 GB (717 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G751JY, ver 1.0, s/n BSN12345678901234567
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver _ASUS_ - 1072009, s/n F2N0WU094606073
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

The system model is - G751JY

Thanks for the response!

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Sorry for the slow reply, I think your thread got buried under newer ones.

As a possible workaround what happens if you put the laptop to Sleep rather than turning it off for the night ?

You said a 'system reset' fixes it temporarily, what exactly do you do ?

justg1997

Sorry for the slow reply, I think your thread got buried under newer ones.

As a possible workaround what happens if you put the laptop to Sleep rather than turning it off for the night ?

You said a 'system reset' fixes it temporarily, what exactly do you do ?
No worries, I didn't reply directly to you so you probably weren't notified or anything, still appreciate the reply!

That currently is my workaround haha, has been going for a few days solid too I might add.

Basically turn it off and on repeatedly while spamming the f9-f12 keys through the "Republic of Gamers" boot logo, and either that or the laptops error response to it being shut off and on brings up the blue screen. At that point I go to advanced settings -> reset pc.

Also, any attempt to download the Geforce ready drivers from nvidia causes a black screen mid download resulting in the same stressful turn off - turn on process.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Ok, I'm logging off now but I will think about your problem and post here again if I come up with anything.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Baby come back, you can blame it all ON MEEEEEE :'(
I certainly will. ;)

Make sure you are connected to the Internet
In Device Manager expand Display adaptors
right click on the revealed adaptor > Update driver > Search automatically...

If that installed a newer driver see if the TV display still works now after a restart.

justg1997

I certainly will. ;)

Make sure you are connected to the Internet
In Device Manager expand Display adaptors
right click on the revealed adaptor > Update driver > Search automatically...

If that installed a newer driver see if the TV display still works now after a restart.
The update went through and the restart worked but I am still terrified to shut it off lmao! Should I give it a go anyways?

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would go for it, you will have to shut it down eventually so do it now while you still have a chance of doing a restore if necessary.

Good luck !

justg1997

I would go for it, you will have to shut it down eventually so do it now while you still have a chance of doing a restore if necessary.

Good luck !
Did a full shutdown and everything is working perfect! Wondering if I should maybe try the GTX geforce game ready driver now.... hmmmmmmmmmmmm. What do you think? Again I appreciate all of your help!!!

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I doubt you will gain anything by installing that driver and why take the risk now it's working well ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts