1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 10 Laptop Sleep/Wake Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vdaesety, Jul 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vdaesety

vdaesety Thread Starter

Hi, I recently spilled liquid on the keyboard of my Lenovo Edge 2 1580. The laptop still works fine except for one thing. Whenever I put it to sleep or shutdown, within a few seconds, the computer turns back on and returns to the login screen. It's like a ghost is pushing the power button. I dismantled the computer and cleaned any signs of corrosion with isopropanol. I concluded that it's not a battery issue because after disconnecting the battery and relying on wall power, the problem persists. I also think there's nothing wrong with the power button because otherwise the screen would constantly be turning off and on. The computer works normally until I put it to sleep/shutdown. I'm guessing that it's a ghost keyboard issue because the computer wakes spontaneously. What puzzles me is that the computer is capable of turning on once shut down. My solution as of now is to order a replacement keyboard. Thoughts?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

To test your idea disconnect the keyboard and see if it still turns on by itself or not.

3. vdaesety

vdaesety Thread Starter

I replaced the keyboard and touchpad with a donor and the problem persists. I also disconnected the wifi/bluetooth module and there's no issue with that. Should I move forward with a motherboard replacement?

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Replacing the motherboard is the next logical step but it could be expensive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice