Windows 10 - Mechanical HDD 100% disk usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kevzdodd

Hi all,

I've noticed that when installing Windows 10 on a mechanical HDD the disk usage in Task Manager almost always appears to be at 100%.

However, when installing Windows 10 to a SSD it appears to be absolutely fine, disk usage is under 20%.

I understand that SSDs are a lot faster as they are flash memory but should HDD's really be at 100% disk usage?

Hopefully someone can answer this, it's been doing my head in for days!

I had this problem recently.

I checked what was using so much disk and it was something called 'microsoft telemetry' or something among those lines.

I then googled the issue and it told me to add a file to the registry. I can't remember off the top of my head where it needs to go or what I should be called but it solved it for me. I cannot check for you right now to tell you specifics but I hope it points you in the right direction

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!